Hello from Barrie Ontario

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammy1983

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi from Barrie Ontario.

Looking to start a small 5 gallon brew operation using wort to start. Any help or advice you can give me would be great

thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum from Nebraska! I am still new to this hobby/obsession myself so I understand how intimidating this can seem. One thing I have learned is it is only as hard as you want to make it!

Start simple with a few extract kits or recipes to get your process down before advancing from there. Sanitation and Fermentation temperatures will be the two biggest factors you want to focus on at first (and for the entire time you brew!).

I got a little ahead of myself when I first started and have found that it is much harder to troubleshoot a 'bad' batch now since I have so many extra variables involved and I am finding myself having to put the 'training wheels' back on.

Start simple, relax and have fun! This is the type of hobby where if you aren't having fun, you're not doing it right. This is a wonderful forum with many highly experienced members willing to help and teach. Glad to have you aboard!

If you haven't yet, pick up a copy of John Palmers "How to Brew" and give it a read, it will get you on a good path to start down. Cheers! :mug:

When I was youngster we often drove through Barrie and Orillia to get to my uncle's place on Lake Dalrymple. If we wanted beer we would have to go to the Brewers Retail in Orillia. Too cold up there for these old bones. Welcome.

I like dawn's idea of starting simple. I would caution that some instructions don't tell you about chlorine/chloramine in the water. If you're using tap water that's chlorinated, treat it with campden tablets to prevent the chlorophenol taste. Treat your boil water, and the top-off water if you're using that.

Welcome to HBT.

I like dawn's idea of starting simple. I would caution that some instructions don't tell you about chlorine/chloramine in the water. If you're using tap water that's chlorinated, treat it with campden tablets to prevent the chlorophenol taste. Treat your boil water, and the top-off water if you're using that.

Welcome to HBT.

thats the best part, where I live I am on well water (into the aquifer) that is treated for iron, sulfur and bacteria. Its amazing to drink so I figure that will be great for making beer.

Hello and welcome to the forum from Nebraska! I am still new to this hobby/obsession myself so I understand how intimidating this can seem. One thing I have learned is it is only as hard as you want to make it!

Start simple with a few extract kits or recipes to get your process down before advancing from there. Sanitation and Fermentation temperatures will be the two biggest factors you want to focus on at first (and for the entire time you brew!).

I got a little ahead of myself when I first started and have found that it is much harder to troubleshoot a 'bad' batch now since I have so many extra variables involved and I am finding myself having to put the 'training wheels' back on.

Start simple, relax and have fun! This is the type of hobby where if you aren't having fun, you're not doing it right. This is a wonderful forum with many highly experienced members willing to help and teach. Glad to have you aboard!

If you haven't yet, pick up a copy of John Palmers "How to Brew" and give it a read, it will get you on a good path to start down. Cheers! :mug:

My plans are to set up in my basement which is usually around 70 degrees +-2. I really only like ales so my research so far proves that wont be an issue with kits like the fiesta brew for now. Eventually I will look into upgrading and making my own wort but my wife is very hesitant to say the least so I want to break her in to my new hobby before I start stinking up the garage and loading it with burners, coolers etc.

Just a thought on basement temps. If your ambient temp is 70 to 72, your wort temp during active fermentation might be 75 to 78. Too high (IMO).

Setting the fermenter is a tub of water with a towel wicking cool water up the fermenter can mitigate this. Ice blocks once or twice a day will keep the water cool.

hiya, welcome from Holland (Europe, not MI :)). I was in your neck of the woods recently (Springwater), great place! Make your wife a proper cider and she will see the light :)

hiya, welcome from Holland (Europe, not MI :)). I was in your neck of the woods recently (Springwater), great place! Make your wife a proper cider and she will see the light :)

I love springwater. Such a nice small quiet place. I wish it was that easy. She doesn't drink at all as she is allergic to alcohol. The upside is... I always have a designated drive.

Ah sorry to hear that. An option for you would be to not go to 5gal/19L right away but start small with a 19L pot and do BIAB brews on your stove. You will have smaller batches (I reckon 9 to 10L of bottled beer) but you can go all-grain right away and you will cut your cleaning time having only one vessel.

I visited the Creemore brewery just west of Barrie when I was over there, can recommend it! Didn't get to visit any craft beer places in Barrie though, we were there during the crazy hot last 2 weeks of sept so spent most of our days inside.

Ah sorry to hear that. An option for you would be to not go to 5gal/19L right away but start small with a 19L pot and do BIAB brews on your stove. You will have smaller batches (I reckon 9 to 10L of bottled beer) but you can go all-grain right away and you will cut your cleaning time having only one vessel.

I visited the Creemore brewery just west of Barrie when I was over there, can recommend it! Didn't get to visit any craft beer places in Barrie though, we were there during the crazy hot last 2 weeks of sept so spent most of our days inside.

Not a chance she will let me stink up the house. A propane burner outside is about the only option for me.
I went to the creemore 25th anniversary copper kettle festival. Amazing time and beers. Since Molson/Coors bought them they haven't changed recipes but they have added a lot more beers that are not for my taste. Those 2 weeks were hot... I remember those well. If/when you come back, check out flying Monkey's in barrie. Amazing place with amazing beer.

Back