Hello and Thank You!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonurban

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post a quick thank you for all the helpful posts I've dug up over the last few months in here, I really appreciate a forum with robust information. The only downside is I didn't register for so long because I was able to easily search out answers to my questions.

I brewed my first batch on January 18th 2013: A Vanilla Bourbon Stout Partial Mash, that I just racked to a secondary. My first brew was a mash-tun of fun, I had a couple old friends over who have been homebrewing for years and they showed me some of the ropes. What was interesting was their different takes on brewing, ie. sterilization iodine vs san star, hopping, sugars, etc.

After that first boil I was kind of addicted...

I whipped up a Hard Cider on January 26th 2013 with some trader joe's apple juice some brown sugar and some munton's ale yeast (the yeast came with an extract red ale kit I didn't use) and I plan on kegging the hard cider in the next week or so. (any advice on what to do with a extract red ale kit??)

my first boil:
IMG_0416.JPG

submersion chiller in action:
IMG_0438.JPG

Draining the Stout to the Primary
IMG_0442.JPG

While racking the Stout to the secondary I took the SG (OG was 1.055) now it's 1.008:
SG.jpg

I hear all great brewers have great helpers, my son love's to clean the brewing equipment:
brewhelper.jpg

Reasons I'll brew again:

Opening, smelling and tasting the hops, malts and grains

The multi sensory stimulation of the smell of the grains and malts in the boiling water, as the heat of the steam hit's your face, you instantly know you're making something worth while.

The rekindling of old friendships and the awakening of new friendships while exploring a fun hobby.

The joy of getting away from my computer for a few hours.

Thanks to all of those who took the time to post a recipe, answer a question, or offer advice. I'll be sure to pay it forward.

Jon

Forgot to mention, I'm from Chicago, and would like to get involved with some homebrew competitions or gatherings, so if you know of any in my area let me know.

Back