Hello all.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Porter

Reaction score
My name is Ed, from West Michigan. Looking to get into brewing for the first time. Looking to get suggestions for my first beer making kit. Northern Brewers? Brooklyn Brew? Mr. Beer? Don't want to do this on the cheap. I do want to do it right.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Welcome, from western Arkansas.

You ARE doing it right, starting with research and questions. Get a copy of John Palmer's book, How to Brew. Chapter 1 is called Brewing Your First Batch of Beer. It's worth the price of the book all by itself.

Again, welcome!

Welcome from Delaware! My suggestion is to go to your LHBS. Any supply worth their salt have a book full of proven recipes, extract, mini mash and all-grain or can download one from BeerSmith. Let them know your equipment and beer taste and they can give you a recipe and all of the ingredients you need. That way, you can bring your beer to their next homebrew club meeting to have it critiqued and get tips for your next batch.

Welcome from Indy. +1 on the above suggestions. Also, look on the interwebs for homebrew clubs in your area. They're a great resource. You can likely get some hands-on observation/experience with local homebrewers before sinking a lot of $$ into equipment that you may quickly outgrow. FWIW, IMO skip Mr. Beer kits. The other online vendors you mentioned have great kits for beginners, so I would go with their suggestions.

My $0.02: Start with a kettle that will allow you to do a full wort boil (7.5 to 10 gal kettle capacity for a 5-6 gallon batch), a propane burner, and immersion chiller. Long story short-- these items will make for a more fun/efficient brew day, they'll be useful throughout the life of your hobby, and they will improve your beer. Kitchen/stovetop 5 gallon batches are not much fun and take forever, in my experience.

Keep your first few batches simple. Save the boutique 'Triple oaked strawberry infused sour lemon tart cherry coffee IPA's' until you are comfortable with the basic process and are happy with a few batches of standard beers like American Pale Ale, Irish Stout, American Wheat or ESB (there's probably several I'm missing, but you get the point).

Use a homebrew-specific plastic bucket to ferment your first few batches and skip secondary fermentation which is really not necessary for most ales, assuming you let the beer ferment 12-18 days and bottle once the beer reaches final gravity. You can always add extra buckets and carboys down the road when your desire for brewing exceeds your fermentation capacity.

Focus on sanitation, sobriety, and note-taking during brew days. That may sound lame, but getting smashed before wort hit the fermenter has never helped my beers. ...plenty of time for drinking afterwards

Above all, have fun, and welcome to HBT !

Last edited:
My $0.02: Start with a kettle that will allow you to do a full wort boil (7.5 to 10 gal kettle capacity for a 5-6 gallon batch), a propane burner, and immersion chiller. Long story short-- these items will make for a more fun/efficient brew day, they'll be useful throughout the life of your hobby, and they will improve your beer. Kitchen/stovetop 5 gallon batches are not much fun and take forever, in my experience.

There are MANY choices you'll be making about your brewing preferences, but all grain vs extract will be the most basic. Friarsmith's reco of equipment for a full boil will let you do five gallon batches of either all grain or extract. But if you will be doing five gallon extract brews, stovetop and a partial boil will work fine - but you'll be limited to roughly 50 IBUs do to dilution of the IBUs. Let us know your preference and you can get better recommendations.

Back