Hefeweizen with Maris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbapoindexter

Reaction score
Hey y'all I am thinking of doing a all grain 50% Maris Otter and 50% wheat malt hopped with Tettnang for 60 min fermenting with Wyeast 3068

Any thoughts do you think this will still be a good Hef? My wife wants a Hef and I have 21# of Maris Otter left over from a 55# bag. I hope someone has done this...

Also should I use torrefied wheat or just normal wheat malt and should I add some rice hulls? I have not done a all grain with wheat before I always do my Hef with extract...
Thanks!!! :mug:

Maris Otter will make a fine Hefeweizen, as I can attest from personal experience, having brewed at least 400bbl of the stuff. ;-)

I've never needed rice hulls with a 50/50 mix of pale and wheat malts, but if it'll stop you worrying, add a fistful or two.

Use wheat malt, not torrefied wheat. If you have torrefied wheat you're looking to use up, use it, but don't exceed 25% of the grist.

Cheers!

Bob

Latest posts

Back