Hefeweizen: When to transfer to secondary/for how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oahu

Reaction score
I've heard that Weizens take longer to "mature". Does this mean I should leave it in the secondary for longer? The bottles?
I am planning on racking to secondary tomorrow, that will be six days in the primary. How long should I leave it in the secondary before I bottle it?

Thanks for answering all my moronic questions. :D

I left my last one in the secondary for 2 weeks. Not much differance after 2 weeks as opposed to 1. Remember Hefe's are cloudy. After bottling, they are good after about a month, but as usual, much better with time. I have some that are about 9-12 months old and they are much better with time.

cheers, dave

no moronic questions here.

let it sit in the secondary for 10-14 days, then bottle. two weeks to carbonate, and give it a try. i'm sure you'll be happy with the results.......

dave, how do you get your beer to last 9-12 months!?!?!?!?! ;~)

DeRoux's Broux said:
no moronic questions here.

let it sit in the secondary for 10-14 days, then bottle. two weeks to carbonate, and give it a try. i'm sure you'll be happy with the results.......

dave, how do you get your beer to last 9-12 months!?!?!?!?! ;~)

Wife hates homebrew, friends don't care for it. I get it all to myself. :D I don't hang on to the whole batch for that long, usually 6 to 12 bottles. Also, I have numerous batches and keep it going. Pretty easy to hang on to some stuff for 6+ months.

bummer, no one to share the wonderful elixer with............

i try to to keep two on tap and one fermenting/conditioning at all times. not too much, but enough to keep it flow'n right!

Back