Hefeweizen Recipe for 2nd Batch. Need some assistance...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMitten

Reaction score
So I went to the local brew store and got this recipe and the ingredients. The guy said it was a good beer, but a had a high alcohol content (7.5 or so)

I want to brew it, but wan't to make it in the 5% range, so it's easy drinking. Any ideas ladies and gents? Here is the recipe.

7 Pounds Alexander's Pale/Wheat Malt Syrup
3 Pounds Munton & Fison Pale
1 Pound Flaked Wheat
1/2 Ounce Coriander
1 ounce Mt Hood(Boil 60 Min)
3/4 ounce Simcoe (End of Boil - Whirlpool - Cover & Force Cool)

If anyone wants the specific of what and when let me know!

I told him I didnt want the yeast that would give it the Banana/clove flavor since I would probably add blueberry so he gave me this Nottingham Brewing Yeast.

The OG is 1.075
The FG is 1.020

Again, how would I Knock down the alcohol volume?

Thanks a ton!

BadMitten

Also, I think I may want to add some blueberry to it, how much of the concentrate and when should I add it, if at all?

Two options, cut back on the fermentables or dilute with more water. But the yeast ... The yeast is what makes a hefe a hefe. Either way, have fun brewing and enjoy your tasty beverage.

Two options, cut back on the fermentables or dilute with more water. But the yeast ... The yeast is what makes a hefe a hefe. Either way, have fun brewing and enjoy your tasty beverage.

Should I get a different yeast or is the one I have sufficient?

I'm sure that would make a nice beer, but I can't imagine it would taste much like a hefeweizen. Overwhelming opinion seems to be that a liquid yeast is key for this style. There are several. I like WLP300 for that classic Bavarian taste profile.

Latest posts

Back