Hefeweizen process question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Dave__C

Reaction score
I had a Hefeweizen in my carboy as primary for about a week and wanted to start up an IPA which I knew I need to do in the carboy because I wanted to swamp cool it.

So I racked the Hefeweizon over to a secondary. I'll be bottling it after 1 week in secondary.

Any ideas whether this will have a bad effect on the beer?

I normally would have left it in primary for two weeks and no secondary.

OP
D

Dave__C

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it settling out and all that, if that's what you're referring to.

It'll be fine.
Thanks for the quick response.

I guess I just don't fully understand what role that yeast cake on the bottom has after a week in the primary. Is it essentially inactive at that point and just sediment to leave behind?

ifishsum

Reaction score
After fermentation is done, the yeast still work to clean up by-products that can produce off flavors. I've noticed a cleaner taste since I've started doing longer primaries, at least 10 days if not 2 weeks. That said, hefeweizen should be a pretty forgiving style in that regard, so it will probably be fine.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with your process.

I usually rack my HWs into a secondary which allows more of the yeast to fall out. You can always add some yeast back into the bottling bucket at that time.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
With my hefe's I primary for 10-14 days then bottle, IMHO they are better when freshest.

a_w_taylor

Reaction score
I went to secondary after 7 days the kegged after another 7 days. Four weeks after brewing it is fantastic. My SWMBO is now a fan of my new hobby!