Hefeweizen lovers - how do you step mash if using a cooler??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@EnCHy22 - I did the hefe as a double decoction and it was THE BEST Hefe I've ever made!!! It really was pro quality in every regard. It actually became my favorite hefe. I shared it with some co-workers and they also loved it. I did 4 rests though since at one point I missed temps a bit. I did:

Protein rest at 125 for 20 minutes
Beta rest at 139 for 30 minutes
Sacch rest at 152 for 30 minutes
and a final Sacch rest at 159 for just 10 minutes since I wanted the initial sacch rest to be higher than 152. Either way it came out fantastic. One of the temp rests were hot water infusion btw.

Since the mother-in-law bitches about any cooked grain smell I can't be decocting whenever I want (we live on the first floor in the same house) so I just recently did a two step hefeweizen using only hot water infusions. I skipped the protein rest and just did a beta and a sacch rest. I just bottled them today actually. I will let you know how it comes out. Tasting from the hydrometer it tasted good, but I never judge from a hydro sample.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back