Hefeweizen fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonArmando

Reaction score
Hello,

i'm new around and i have brewed my first batch of weiss on 1st october.
today is still bubbling a bit,like one bubble a minute or less,fermenting at 20 celsius.

how long does it take for this kind of beer to fermentate?i heard around 10 days,do you confirm it?

many thanks

Armando

Ps do you have a wit recipe at hand? :)

My last hefe was bottled two weeks from when I started it. I'm a big believer in at least three weeks in primary but this one turned out excellent. Oh and it was really done fermenting around 5 days at 64 I think.

The airlock isn't a perfect indicator.
The best way is to measure the specific gravity.
Look for the estimated final gravity (FG) in the recipe.
Or look for steady readings over 2 or 3 days.
My weiss beers are usually almost done after a week (FG 1.011 - 1.012).

You can bottle now, if you're in a hurry.
But the end product will be better if you wait another week.
Add your priming sugar, fill bottles, and plan on 3 weeks for carbonation.

It will probably be drinkable after three weeks (1 week in primary, 2 weeks in bottles).
But it will be *really* good in 6 to 8 weeks.

My last hefe was bottled two weeks from when I started it. I'm a big believer in at least three weeks in primary but this one turned out excellent. Oh and it was really done fermenting around 5 days at 64 I think.

you mean 3 weeks in the fermenter?
since i'm a great n00b in HB,why do you think that keeping the wort in the fermeter so long helps?

Do a search on it but a lot of people believe it improves the quality. You can secondary ferment in the primary container. It allows the yeast to clean up some of the off flavors that may have been given off in the primary stages.

What all do ya have to do to initiate secondary ferment in the primary container? Nothing?.....Just let it sit there longer?

With a hefeweizen I generally do 10 days in the primary, then bottle. 2-3 weeks alter I have found it is quite drinkable.

With the Hefe I brew, that sucker is fermentin' like crazy in under 24hrs.

I do 1 week in primary, 1 week in keg.

Back