Hefeweizen and Whirlflock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernestmyname

Reaction score
So my extract kit came with this whirlflock tablet. I researched it after I made my beer to find that it is to get rid of suspended particles in the beer.

Isn't a Hefe supposed to have suspended yeast? How do I get it back?

Also, 12 hours after I pitched my yeast, my bubbler was bubbling so fast you couldn't distinguish the sounds of the different bubbles. 24 hours later, there is 3/4 second between bubbles. Does this sound like a 'strong' fermentation?

The whirlfloc is not a big deal, your wheat beer will still be hazy.

Your fermentation is fine. If it's fermenting, it's fermenting. Every beer is different and the airlock is NOT and indicator of fermentation. Just let it sit for 2 weeks and then check the specific gravity of that sucker.

In other words, RDWHAHB.
:mug:

Im not 100% convinced. I just brewed an all grain dunkelweizen and added a whirlfloc tablet. The beer cleared up in the primary before the first two weeks were even up. It has been in the bottle a week now, it is crystal clear and does seem a little watery/weak flavored.

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.010
Wyeast 3068

So my extract kit came with this whirlflock tablet. I researched it after I made my beer to find that it is to get rid of suspended particles in the beer.

Isn't a Hefe supposed to have suspended yeast? How do I get it back?

Also, 12 hours after I pitched my yeast, my bubbler was bubbling so fast you couldn't distinguish the sounds of the different bubbles. 24 hours later, there is 3/4 second between bubbles. Does this sound like a 'strong' fermentation?

Whirlfloc removes the suspended proteins, not the yeast.

MisterGreen said:
Whirlfloc removes the suspended proteins, not the yeast.

True but I do believe it helps the yeast drop out of suspension faster. My dunkelweizen was crystal clear in the carboy after a 1.5 weeks. With liquid 3068 yeast. That's no typical is it?

Back