Hefeweizen AG recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdemt84

Reaction score
So Im one that likes to jump into things way above his head. And in this case Im making up my own recie for my first AG batch. Anyone with good experience think im going in the right direction with this?

6lb briess unmalted wheat
3lb briess pale ale malt
1 1/2 lb weyermann cara red
target 1/2 oz @30 min
target .2 oz @15min
wyeast 3068 (weihenstephan weizen)

I was thinking 60 min on the mash @ 160deg rinse at 170deg
then boil for 60 mins. And potential for irish moss at 10 mins (after rehydrating). then let sit for 10 mins off heat before transfering.

SO am i going in the right direction or Am i way off on what im looking to do?
Oh OG 1.049 FG 1.012 IBU 14 SRM 7.5 ABV ~4.9

Do you want to brew an American wheat beer or a German Hefeweizen?

For a German Hefe, check out my recipe. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/

The reason I ask, is you call it a Hefeweizen and you are using 3068 yeast (the most awesomenest Weizen yeast evah)

If you want an American Wheat Beer, then you are on track with the grain bill.

Mash temp is a bit high for me. I would not go over 155 myself. I'd also use some rice hull at the wheat to barley ratio.

Any particular reason for Target hops?

Also, Irish Moss is wasted on Hefe's.

I am looking to do more of a German Hefe.. Living over here Its almost all I drink well that and Marzen/oktoberfest beir come late year!!! As for the hops no reason.. With hefe's they are not very hoppy and have more of that bananaie taste to them(well not all) and I wanted a hop that wasnt to strong or over powering. And yes the Irish moss is wasted and I dont really know why I said that... But I will check out that recipe. thanks

If you want an authentic Bavarian Hefe, then just use my recipe. Drop the cara red and the 2 row and use pils instead. Go with a German Noble hop like Hallertau or Tettnanger with the earliest addition at 45 minutes.

I lived and worked in Germany and work for Germans now. They've tasted my beer and could not get over it (went through 2/3 of a keg in a weekend just the 3 of us).

Give it a shot, you'll be happy.

Ed, what temp do you ferment at? I've had nothing but BAD experiences with 3068 and I'm sure it's my temp. It's my white whale. I would love nothing more than to be able to brew wonderful weissbier!

Ed, what temp do you ferment at? I've had nothing but BAD experiences with 3068 and I'm sure it's my temp. It's my white whale. I would love nothing more than to be able to brew wonderful weissbier!

I ferment in buckets in a chest freezer with a Love controller.

I tape the temp sensor to the side of the buck with blue painters tape and I set the temp to 68 degrees.

When it gets going, the ambient temp of the freezer will be 55-58 while the side of the bucket where the temp sensor is located will be 68.

Fermentation temp will always be up to 10 degrees higher than ambient during the vigorous phase because of the heat generated. If you are fermenting at room temp like 72, then it really is like 80 when it's going.

I think that is a lot of crystal malt for a hefe. You can really get by with no crystal malt. Speaking of which, mashing at 160 is going to give you a lot of unfermentables and too much body for a hefe. 153-155 is more where you want to be.

As you've realized, if Irish Moss does anything, it is not needed in a hefe.

Isn't unmalted wheat more for Belgian Wits? A German Hefe would have malted wheat. In fact, I think by law in Germany it has to be malted wheat.

Thanks, Ed. I'm going to do my 3rd attempt at a hefe - this one will be AG. I did the extract, and a partial. The partial was okay, but it had an off flavor that I KNEW was because of fast, furious, hot fermentation.

Back