Hefe yeast for sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brwagur

Reaction score
I know it's pretty common to use belgian and saison yeasts as the primary yeasts in sour beers, but does anyone regularly use hefeweizen yeast in their souring blend? I know that bavarian hefeweizen isn't actually S. cerevisiae but actually Torulaspora delbrueckii and I feel like the banana and clove aromatics would be good precursors to funky brett compounds but I've never tried it. Anyone have experience with this?

Well, Weizen yeast is allegedly very similar characteristically to a lot of wild yeasts. But this is the first I'm hearing of it not actually being Saccharomyces. I say go for it.

Anchorage Brewing Company made a German hefe with brett last year called Thank You. I liked it. A lot. Although, I do have a broner for brewer Gabe Fletcher.

I know that bavarian hefeweizen isn't actually S. cerevisiae but actually Torulaspora delbrueckii
based on my reading, this isn't true. T. delbrueckii exhibits certain fermentation characteristics that are similar to a hefe yeast, but the main difference is that T. delbrueckii is much, much slower to ferment. what we're using for our hefe are still sacch.

https://eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2014/02/10/hello-my-name-is-torulaspora-delbrueckii/
http://www.doiserbia.nb.rs/img/doi/0352-4906/2013/0352-49061324415T.pdf
seems to be more common in wine and bread making (link, link)

I feel like the banana and clove aromatics would be good precursors to funky brett compounds but I've never tried it. Anyone have experience with this?
never tried, but sounds like an awesome idea. i think i know what i'm replacing sacch with in my next funky beer...

I drank a Weizen Bam from Jolly Pumpkin back in Jan. It had a lot of hefe yeast characteristics. Maybe an old bottle of this would show some the esters created with hefe yeast and brett.

The fourth in our Bam Farmhouse series, and perhaps our most adventurous; a traditional farmhouse style hefeweizen. Weizen Bam seamlessly blends traditional German style hefeweizen yeast with our own local wild and sour cultures, for a melange of the most flavorful sort. Ruddy golden, with yeast driven esters of banana, spicy clove, and nutmeg all wrapped up with a generous dose of good-natured rapscallion delight.

I've got a Sauer Weizen that's about 10 months old right now, it's tasting nice. I did a gallon test of this a few years back from a batch of Hefe. Makes for a nice sour.

I drank a Weizen Bam from Jolly Pumpkin back in Jan. It had a lot of hefe yeast characteristics. Maybe an old bottle of this would show some the esters created with hefe yeast and brett.

Had a four year old bottle of this recently. All cherry pie. Probably too old but the Brett had gone to town and no hefe flavor left.

based on my reading, this isn't true. T. delbrueckii exhibits certain fermentation characteristics that are similar to a hefe yeast, but the main difference is that T. delbrueckii is much, much slower to ferment. what we're using for our here are still a sacch.

https://eurekabrewing.wordpress.com/2014/02/10/hello-my-name-is-torulaspora-delbrueckii/
http://www.doiserbia.nb.rs/img/doi/0352-4906/2013/0352-49061324415T.pdf
seems to be more common in wine and bread making (link, link)

never tried, but sounds like an awesome idea. i think i know what i'm replacing sacch with in my next funky beer...

Thank you so much for those references. I don't remember where I originally read that bavarian hefe yeast wasn't saccro but it seemed convincing at the time. If that's incorrect, though, I certainly don't want to be spreading misinformation. :mug:

I brewed a Bam Biere clone about six months ago and split the batch with a belgian yeast in one carboy and a hefe yeast in the other. The brett pitched in secondary eventually wiped out all hefeweizen flavor.

Back