Hefe-Weizen Hop Selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm brewing a simple hefe tomorrow and can't decide which hops to use. I have Pearle, Hersbrucker, and Tettnang to choose from. I am going to put all 12 IBUs in at 60 minutes so not much flavor will come through to the end but there will be some. I'm leaning towards Hersbrucker or Tettnang and since I can't decide which one, I'm currently thinking 6 IBU of each.

I'm more interested in a Hacker-Pschorr or Paulaner flavor than a Tucher, but I think most of that has to do more with yeast strain than hops. What do you guys think the flavor contributions would be for these hop varieties?

Thanks!

I made a Hefe with hersbrucker before and it was tasty! With most hefes there is very low to no hop character. Just a 60 min hop addition with no other additions would be fine.

Any of them would be fine. I have tried with all of those and have never seen a whole lot of difference due to the low hop usage in a hefe. Go with roughly .75 oz of hallertau and it will turn out great.

Back