Hefe Update/Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBuuck

Reaction score
I'm now 6 days into the fermentation process of my first ever homebrew, a German Hefe. Decided to take my first hydrometer reading following fermentation, OG was 1.050 and I'm trying to get down to 1.013. I've attached a couple pictures, if you guys could give me your best guess as to what the hydrometer reading is to confirm what I see it as, that would be great! I am pretty happy with color and smell of the beer, Slighty darker than expected taste was definitely what I assume is the green flavor I've heard on the forum there is also a lot of yeast floating on top of the beer still, is that an issue or a sign of continued fermentation?

Thanks everyone!

image-1792021949.jpg

image-1522795181.jpg

image-100743550.jpg

Hard to see it clearly, but looks close to 1.012 or .010. In a rush to bottle/keg? If not, let it hang out for another week.

Yeah, it's very difficult to see the gravity with all that foam. I'd guess around 1.010. Nice work! Now let it sit for 14 days, (it will only get better) and then package, that's what I do with my hefe's. So good young. Cheers!

Just finished bottling a Weihenstephaner clone from AHS. Try using a piece of paper towel to soak up that foam so you can get a better reading on your hydrometer. Congrats on your first batch it looks great!

Should be done! Doesn't matter that much the exact reading, just that it's not changing anymore. Wait 3 or 4 days and check again, if it's the same, bottle away! No need to wait long on hefs. They're at their best young...

Wow thanks all! I was quite honestly surprised at how well it turned out (so far) for my first try 😉. I can definitely see myself rushing into bottling and have had to work hard to stay out of the bucket so far, I suppose I've really caught the homebrewing bug!

Demus said:
Should be done! Doesn't matter that much the exact reading, just that it's not changing anymore. Wait 3 or 4 days and check again, if it's the same, bottle away! No need to wait long on hefs. They're at their best young...

I've seen this a couple places about Hefes being better young, if I were to get the same reading tomorrow and bottle this beer then, how long would you leave it bottled before cracking one open?

Once again, thanks for all the input, this forum is keeping me busy while I wait on the beer! Any advice or extra general help is very much appreciated...

No hurry to bottle, but once bottled should carb up in 5 to 7 days. After that, chill and serve!!!

Back