Hefe fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjack

Reaction score
I recently brewed my second batch of bavarian style hefewiesen. Im using wl300. The first batch I brewed took an incrediably long time to finish primary fermentation (like 3 weeks). I figured it was because I under pitched, but this last time, I pitched a larger starter and the fermentation is still going slow.

Here's some info,
1st batch:
5 gallon,
OG 1.050
FG 1.010
No starter
Took about 3 weeks,
Mash; my mash scheduale was way too complicated, I had just finnished Classic Brewing Style Series "German Wheat Beers", and I did a 2x decoction mash. Doued in cold, raised it to 120 then 145 with the decoctions. It had a beautiful color and slightly malty backbone to it, but it overly broke down the grains and the head retension sucked.

2nd batch:
9 gallon
OG 1.050
Current gravity is 1.015 after 8 days, and it doesn't seem to be doing much.
1 L starter (stir plate)
Mash; I simplified it somewhat, but I didn't want to give up on the decoction entirely because I really liked the color and light malt taste. 1x decoction, resting at a high (130ish) protein rest and a 150 sac rest.

This is the first time I've taken caraeful notes and tried to improve a recipe batch to batch. So should I expect this beer to finnish in the same 1.010 range as the first one? Or will the higher rest temps mean I'll more likely finnish higher? Also whats the deal with this yeast it seems to go completely ape-sh*t for the first day or two then slow down to a snails pace to finish up?

PS please please please no debates on the pros and cons of decoction mashing. I know there are simpler ways to get color and maltiness, but I wanted to change as few variables as possible. Also, I'm screwing around with this technoque to form my own opinion.

how may packs of yeast did you put into the stater? According to the Mr. Malty pitching calc, you need 2 packs in 1 liter w/ stir plate.

You should end up anywhere from 1.010-1.014, you're close after only 8 days. It'll probably get into range in the next week.

I used one.
I saw that on Mr Malty, but it seemed excessive to me. According Mr. Malty, I underpitched by about 50%, but honestly, I've been underpitching (by a lot more) for years and getting away with it. Also, some ppl claim that some of the esters in beer are produced during reproduction rather then fermentation (though I've heard debate as to how significant that is).

Fine for a hefe, but not necessarily so with other styles. Try building up a starter and pitching a proper amount - see if your beer improves.

I saw the light when I brewed a VMO lager with a proper size starter, I was really blown away by how well it worked. This time, since it was a hefe, I figured it would be ok to let the yeast work a little extra.

The thing is, the fermentation took off great. It was bubbling away like crazy, but now, its slowed down to next to nothing.

Cool. Very typical for that yeast. It's sprinter. 2-3 days gets you 95% of the way there, another day or to will be to FG. Bet it'll taste awesome.

Back