hefe F.G. too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3cub56

Reaction score
brewed a syrup extract kit on 2-10 (8 lbs, + 1.5 # steeped grains), added WLP300 @ 70. initial gravity, at about 66-68, was 1.086! wondered if i read it wrong, but no, that was it. not as active a fermentation as usual, but fermented at a constant 64-66, which is lower than i usually do. checked it today, 18 days later, and it's at 1.030. gonna wait and take another reading in a day or two, but i calculate that out to be about 7.5 ABV, which is higher than hefe's usually get. the sample tasted like usual, just wondering why the SG was so high, didn't think steeping those grains would make about a 30 degree difference.

j3cub56 said:
brewed a syrup extract kit on 2-10 (8 lbs, + 1.5 # steeped grains), added WLP300 @ 70. initial gravity, at about 66-68, was 1.086! wondered if i read it wrong, but no, that was it. not as active a fermentation as usual, but fermented at a constant 64-66, which is lower than i usually do. checked it today, 18 days later, and it's at 1.030. gonna wait and take another reading in a day or two, but i calculate that out to be about 7.5 ABV, which is higher than hefe's usually get. the sample tasted like usual, just wondering why the SG was so high, didn't think steeping those grains would make about a 30 degree difference.

It would be difficult, if not impossible to get to 1.086 with 8 lbs of extract even if it was DME. Test your hydrometer in room temperature water to make sure it is reading accurately. If it is I am not sure what to tell you. Your attenuation seems about right but there is no way that beer finished that high if the yeast is done, and that SG doesn't make sense with the amount of fermentable sugars. You are definitely reading the gravity scale right? 1.5 lbs of steeped grains wouldn't add that many gravity points.

If you brewed a partial then topped off with water you probably did not mix good enough before taking the OG reading.

As for the FG reading that is a whole new problem. Can you post a picture of the hydrometer in the brew just on the off chance you are reading it incorrectly.

I dropped my hydometer in my cylinder hard once and it threw it off, +1 on the posts check it in water

i'm positive i'm reading it right. maybe i've damaged it and screwed up the readings. i didn't see any way it could be that high either, gonna check again tonight and if it's the same as a few days ago-bottle, then get a new hydrometer! if i put it in water what should it do? no reading at all?

In water, it should read 1.000 at whatever temp its calibrated at.

Sometimes the scales move when the hydrometer gets bumped. So if it says 1.015 in water, then it means you OG was actually 1.071, with a FG of 1.015 for example.

Back