Heavy duty BBQ Tongs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Brew

Reaction score
Hello I have been searching the net for some heavy duty BBQ tongs. what seems appealing to me are (Iron Coal Tongs) they have a scissor design. these seem to be common in the UK but not here in the us. I'm looking for something tough enough to pick up a brisket that is if your tough enough to hold it up with them. I don't care about Stainless steel. I can season cast iron and it will work well. I'm just tired of throwing away cheap ones that bend or break at the hinge and per fur the scissor design. what do you guys use?

I have a pair of OXO Good Grips tongs. They seem to work well for me and havent bent. Have not made a brisket yet so i dont know how it will work with that.
I use my Bear Paws for most meat lifting.

Maybe something along the lines of fish tongs may be what you are in the market for.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006SDQYS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Just saw your bit on liking the scissor design. I have no experience with that style. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually just slip on silicone gloves and pick it up by hand.

I also have a pair of meat claws that I've used to move pork shoulders around on the smoker. They also work for shredding pulled pork, as well as scaring off solicitors from your doorstep (wear both the silicone gloves and carry the claws at the same time for max effect).

81awDlWuBCL._SL1500_.jpg

91CukOAE%2BPL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I use those orange silicon gloves to pick up meat but I have a pair of weber tongs that are very strong. I mean, they won't single-handedly pick up an 8 pound pork shoulder without using another hand, but they do not shift or bend.

I bought those orange gloves for BIAB and such but have begun to use them while grilling.

Thanks for your Input guys! I don't like the Idea of making holes In my meat as I flip It but Ill look Into the gloves and the webber tongs. I'm also going to continue to search for what I have in mind. If I come up with something I like ill post it. :mug:

those gloves look nice, but someone with rather large "paws" as my wife calls them, I'm skeptical about a "one size fits all" approach. Are these truely one size fits all?

Back