Heating element for fermentor box.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detz

Reaction score
I'm building a dual-fermentor box so I can control the temp for two beers at once and I have the cooling part down I just need some advice on the warming part. I thought about the fish tank heater but I would rather not have water in this thing so I've been looking at heating mats and bulbs. The mats just seem safer to me but I'm not sure they'll be able to heat it up enough. If I have a pretty well insulated box hopefully any amount of heat will be enough. I basically need to heat it from about 50 to 70 degrees. Which is better?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQCKA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQCPK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a fermwrap? I'm not sure I'd want my heat source sitting on the bottom. (Rightly or wrongly) I'd feel like I was cooking my trub.

I would stick the bad on the wall not under it. I'm trying to make this cheap, the fermwrap seems pricey for two.

I suspect so, though obviously check before you start melting things. 5A at 250VAC should be enough power to run one of these suckers, considering they're not meant to get any more than slightly warm. The fermwrap itself only draws 40W.

I'd buy one of the small portable space heaters for $10 at Walmart (or somewhere similar). But it also depends on the controller that you are using.

I have had very good results with my Brewers Edge (http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWER_S_EDGE_SPACE_HEATER_P518C100.cfm) space heater in my fermentation chamber. If you're looking to reduce cost, the ReptiTherm would probably work well for less money, but I've never used one.

The FermWrap scares me a little because I would assume that it heats to a very high temperature in order to change the temp of the whole system quickly. That is, it may always heat to ~90 degrees and then shut off when the ambient temperature of the fermentation chamber reaches the programed temp on the controller. I wouldn't want something heating to ~90 degrees (i don't actually know how hot it could get) against my beer.

I have used ceramic space heaters before, but my temp controller does not register temp changes quickly enough to shut the heater down at the programmed temp. With a ceramic space heater plugged into my Controller II (http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTROLLER_II_P183C100.cfm) I have measured temperatures as high as 90 degrees F when my controller only read 60. I think that in a relatively small space, these heaters work too efficiently.

I say go with the heating pad stuck to the side of your chamber. Let us know how the Reptitherm works out if you go that route.

Space heaters scare me, I don't want to leave it unattended for fear it would catch fire or something. The FermWrap is still pretty cheap so I might buy 4 feet and wrap it around the box so it's ambient heat instead of direct.

I'm currently using heating pads like you use for your sore back. I secure them to one side with bungee cords. Using the ebay aquarium temp controller as detailed in another thread here. This is my first time using them, we'll see. It seems to keep the temp fairly constant.

The FermWrap scares me a little because I would assume that it heats to a very high temperature in order to change the temp of the whole system quickly. That is, it may always heat to ~90 degrees and then shut off when the ambient temperature of the fermentation chamber reaches the programed temp on the controller. I wouldn't want something heating to ~90 degrees (i don't actually know how hot it could get) against my beer.

it actually barely needs to get warm, since the direct heat conduction is so much more efficient than heating ambient air. I've noticed much more gentle temperature swings than with anything else I've tried. It's only 40W distributed over a large area, and the heat seems to transmit to the liquid very readily. I've been quite happy with mine.

Back