Heating element for fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
What do you guys use for a fermentation chamber heating element? I hope to use a chest freezer and Ranco controller.

I use a hair dryer ($1 from a garage sale).

I tried just a straight heating element (150W) before. Even though it was low wattage, without any air circulating all the heat stratified and melted the area directly above the element. So, use a fan of some sort.

I use a small, cheap ceramic space heater I snagged at a garage sale for a few bucks. It doesn't take much to warm a small enclosed space like that.

I have an infared reptile heating bulb and replacement fan for a bathroom light/vent fixture. Both mounted in boxes. For cooling, I have no air circulation as the fan is wired in series with the reptile bulb.

do you need an additional temperature controller to control the heating element if it is inside a refrigerated chamber on a temperature controller already?

do you need an additional temperature controller to control the heating element if it is inside a refrigerated chamber on a temperature controller already?

You would want to unplug the refrigerator and plug the heating element into the temp control.

I was lucky enough to pick a an upright freezer which has a built in defrost heating element under the cooling coil. I hooked the defrost element up to the "heating" side of my temp controller (after removing/bypassing the defrost timer widget). This allows me to heat my fermentor while keeping the interior free of any visible heat source.

Back