Heat mats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oz82

Reaction score
Hi there,I'm currently using a circler heat pad for fermenting in the garage,and was wondering if anyone has used an electric blanket as a heat mat?
I've been banished to the garage due space restrictions in the house!
Would like to 2 have 2 batches on at a time and would be using an ink bird to regulate it.
Live in sunny Northern Ireland.....

I think you'll stay much warmer with a heated blanket than sitting on a heat pad! Less risk of piles as well.

I've thought of wrapping up my Kveik ferments with an electric blanket when the ferment chamber is occupied. The ideal would be a childs electric blanket but they don't make them. I've also hunted high and low for the in car plug in 12V electric blanket but cannot find it, lost somewhere in the move.
I did see Harry brews on you tube using electric blankets on a couple of trial brews in his brewery on youtube.

I'm currently using and Inkbird controller with one of their heat mats inside a Cool Brewing fermentation bag. The heat mat is strapped to the side of the fermenter (big mouth bubbler, 5gal). This works great in my garage which gets down below 20f. The set up keeps the beer between 31f and 35f. The heat mat is wrapped in heavy plastic (vinyl?) so it won't be affected by any condensation that might develop.

Back