Heart of Darkness Clone Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I've heard that Shramm's Meadery Heart of Darkness mead sells for $150+ a bottle and is always sold out. Its not even listed on their website, but several mead podcasts have mentioned it.
I was going to use clover or wildflower honey.
Whole fruit is used, red rasberries (Heritage and Latham), tart cherries (Can't remember the exact variety, but its not available anyway) and Black currants.
I can't get the exact ingredients they use, so my version won't be a clone, but I'm hoping to get close, or at least learn something for the next attempt.
I've got sour cherries and raspberries in the freezer, and for the currants, I could used dried, juice from Knudsen's or Vintner's harvest puree.
Anyone have experience using currants? The puree is $30/can, is that the best choice or is the Knudsen's juice just as good? I'm somewhat skeptical about the dried currants available locally, they are treated with vegetable oil and are intended as a baking ingredient.
My plan is to use the super berry mead recipe on the AHA website, but change the fruit:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/mead-recipe-of-the-week-super-berry-melomel/

The above uses 18lbs of fruit and 96 oz of Black currant Juice.
So I have to decide what the ratio of tart cherries/raspberries should be in addition to what currants to use.
Any comments or experience with any of the above?

I think this will turn out really nice for you. I have something very similar going right now that's been tasting pretty great.

20lbs of clover honey
12lbs of berry mix (blueberry, raspberry, blackberry), frozen
4lbs mix of tart/sweet cherries, frozen
2lbs blueberries, frozen
1 96 oz can Black Current puree
1 96 oz can Tart Cherry puree

Fermenting at 62F. Did all my yeast nutrient additions and stirring. Pulled the huge bag of berries out after 7 days and now it's finishing fermenting. I'll rack it to a glass carboy in another couple weeks and let it age for a couple of months and see where it's at. I plan to bottle half and then keg half.

Latest posts

Back