Heady Topper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me know how turns out. I've been crafting an IPA wanting a really dank combo of hops....and my late addition, aroma steep and dry hop are going to be equal parts Chinook, Columbus, and simcoe. I thought I was being original : mug:

Let us know how that turns out. Have you had Heady before? I am at something like 3:1:1 on Simcoe, Columbus, Chinook at the moment, would be interested what 1:1:1 is like so I can save some Simcoe.

Let us know how that turns out. Have you had Heady before? I am at something like 3:1:1 on Simcoe, Columbus, Chinook at the moment, would be interested what 1:1:1 is like so I can save some Simcoe.

I've def had heady. I'm currently crafting just a normal IPA with summit for bittering. Then, I'm doing half oz Columbus and half oz Chinook at 15. Then doing oz each of Columbus, Chinook, Simcoe at 2 min, then again an ounce each for an aroma steep once I chill the wort to around 170. Then I'm dry hopping with 1.5 oz Columbus, 1.5 oz Chinook and 1 oz Simcoe. I'll definitely let you know how it turns out but I probably won't brew it for another few weeks, then another month or so to age. It may be a while.

Like sniffing a bag of fresh Marijuana from Cali (resinous, skunky, piney, oily, herbaceous, intoxicating) - aka Dank.

In an equally dry and highly aromatic beer with a ton of hops overall, Russian River achieves this with Pliny by overloading on CTZ/Simcoe/Centennial hopshot and pellets at all stages (early/middle/late/dryhop).

Very good description of "dank". For those of you who aren't aware, "dank" (aside from the dictionary def.) is a term used to describe high quality pot. Since pot and hops are cousins and share similar aromas, the term has been used to describe beers with a strong, marijuana character in the flavor and aroma.

Personally, I've always thought of Heady as one of the more dank IPAs, it has all those aromas I associate with "dank"; citrus, cat, pine, forest, tropical juicy fruit, etc.

A while back itt thread I said I was going to be sending some slurry to a microbiologist, long story short he had a can of heady and cultured it up himself and just recently got back to me. His response...

Conan is an ale yeast (S. cerevisae)

Not that we didnt already know/assume that but at least the whole lager bottling strain is officially debunked. he is running tests of it on some unhopped wort to get a better idea of the flavor profile.

theveganbrewer said:
What dry hops?

2ounces of Simcoe and 1 ounce of Amarillo and 1 oz of cascade. All leaf. All added to the keg for 2 weeks. It's insane. I'm gonna leave them in there. No grassy taste.

What are the chances someone with access to Conan and good culturing skills would be willing to grow up starters and ship out samples to interested parties? It sounds like a very interesting yeast.

No reasonable person would hope for this for free of course ;)

A while back itt thread I said I was going to be sending some slurry to a microbiologist, long story short he had a can of heady and cultured it up himself and just recently got back to me. His response...

Not that we didnt already know/assume that but at least the whole lager bottling strain is officially debunked. he is running tests of it on some unhopped wort to get a better idea of the flavor profile.

Oh man, you're going to confuse people by bringing this up again! :D

Well my first Conan ferment is wrapping up and man, that stuff is a beast. Ferments hard and fast even in the high 50's.

Between wlp007 and now Conan I may officially be done with California ale yeast.

What are the chances someone with access to Conan and good culturing skills would be willing to grow up starters and ship out samples to interested parties? It sounds like a very interesting yeast.

No reasonable person would hope for this for free of course ;)

I have been doing this for a while now, got a new batch just of the stirplate and more on the way. Ill pm you details, but this is a note for anyone else looking for Conan, ill have more in stock soon, so PM me for details.

I'm 1st in line. ;)

I've got a good track record of 1/1 of cloning beers, so I'm feelin this one.

my buddy just told me he's getting a case sent out in the next week or so and 1 can has my name on it!

can't wait to try HT again and will def be harvesting some Conan

Got my first batch with Conan brewed up this weekend (thanks to theveganbrewer for the yeast). Not a Heady clone, but going for a big juicy IPA:

(ended up closer to 1.067 and 5.5gal in fermenter due to slightly overzealous sparging, but I plan on losing some volume to the dry hops anyway...)

Conan IPA - American IPA (14B)
Date 2/09/2013
Batch Size 5.262 gal Boil Size 6.200 gal
Boil Time 75.000 min Efficiency 70%
OG 1.072 FG 1.012
ABV 7.8% Bitterness 89.2 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 5.9 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 238
Fermentables

Total grain: 15.000 lb
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 13.000 lb Yes No 79% 2.0 srm
Vienna Malt Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 78% 4.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 75% 15.0 srm
Hops

Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Amarillo 9.5% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Leaf 0.0
Amarillo 9.5% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Leaf 4.8
Amarillo 9.5% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 min Leaf 1.0
Amarillo 9.5% 1.000 oz First Wort 90.000 min Leaf 16.1
Simcoe 14.1% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 1.000 s Leaf 0.0
Simcoe 14.1% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 min Leaf 1.5
Simcoe 14.1% 0.500 oz Boil 10.000 min Leaf 6.5
Cascade 6% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 1.000 s Leaf 0.0
Cascade 6% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 min Leaf 0.7
Cascade 6% 0.500 oz First Wort 90.000 min Leaf 5.1
Cascade 6% 1.000 oz Boil 10.000 min Leaf 5.5
Warrior 17% 0.200 oz Boil 60.000 min Leaf 8.6
Belma 12.1% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Leaf 0.0
Belma 12.1% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Leaf 6.1
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus 16.4% 0.800 oz Boil 60.000 min Leaf 33.3
Yeast

Name Type Form Amount Stage
Conan Ale Liquid 1.000 qt Primary
Mash

Name Type Amount Temp Target Temp Time
Conversion Infusion 5.000 gal 163.674 F 152.000 F 60.000 min
Final Batch Sparge Infusion 3.500 gal 188.146 F 165.200 F 15.000 min

Latest batch of Conan is in the vials and shipping out tomorrow to all the prospective cloners. Check your PMs. I should have 4-5 extra vials if anyone else wants in, PM me before the end of the day Monday. Everything will ship out tomorrow USPS so it's at your houses before the weekend.

35apr9g.jpg

Latest batch of Conan is in the vials and shipping out tomorrow to all the prospective cloners. Check your PMs. I should have 4-5 extra vials if anyone else wants in, PM me before the end of the day Monday. Everything will ship out tomorrow USPS so it's at your houses before the weekend.

35apr9g.jpg

In a few weeks, I'm going to send out some vials too... What's your source for those vials? Seeing as how you write a homebrew bargain blog, you probably have a good place.. Thank!

This is the recipe I am planning on brewing in a few weeks. Was not able to get Pearl, but everything else is geared towards Heady Topper.

5.5 gallons

10.5 Lbs. Pale Ale Malt
1.5 Lbs. Munich Malt
1.5 Lbs. Wheat Malt
.5 Lbs. Carapils
.75 Lbs. Dextrose

1.75 oz Columbus 14% FWH

3 .00 oz Amarillo Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Cascade Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Centennial Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Columbus Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Simcoe Aroma Steep @ 170F

2.00 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Cascade Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Centennial Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Columbus Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 5 Days

Conan Yeast @ 64F

OG 1.074
IBU 78.7
SRM 6.4
Alc % 8.0

FG: 1.011

If those getting Conan haven't read up on yeast harvesting now would be a good time so you can have Conan on hand for the next year or two. Assuming you have a stir plate, you can probably make enough Conan for the next year by just buying some tubes and glycerin on Amazon for less than 20 bucks all together. You'll have enough cells to make up a big starer, split it up, and either freeze it, or store in the fridge for a bit. Here is an article on it from one of our own: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/freezing-yeast.html

theveganbrewer said:

I'd lurve some Conan:D what do I need to get this stuff in my possession?

libeerty said:
This is the recipe I am planning on brewing in a few weeks. Was not able to get Pearl, but everything else is geared towards Heady Topper.

5.5 gallons

10.5 Lbs. Pale Ale Malt
1.5 Lbs. Munich Malt
1.5 Lbs. Wheat Malt
.5 Lbs. Carapils
.75 Lbs. Dextrose

1.75 oz Columbus 14% FWH

3 .00 oz Amarillo Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Cascade Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Centennial Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Columbus Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Simcoe Aroma Steep @ 170F

2.00 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Cascade Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Centennial Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Columbus Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 5 Days

Conan Yeast @ 64F

OG 1.074
IBU 78.7
SRM 6.4
Alc % 8.0

FG: 1.011

May want to target a higher volume. Those hops are gonna soak up some liquid.

This thread has prompted me to get my butt into gear and start getting my gear together for all grain. Love me some heady topper and if I'm gonna do this thing I'm gonna do it right

Brewed a 3 gallon batch on monday.
Thru it together all at the last minute pretty much but also missed my FG due to over sparging.
Came out to 1.075 collecting 3.2 gallons.
Break was crazy chunky and my house smelled like the tropics for a good 2 hours.

7pds 2-row
1pd Marris Otter
7oz carafoam
8oz Cane sugar

10gms Nugget FWH, 16gms @ 60 for 60IBU
Simcoe, cenntennial, citra, galaxy, amarillo and cascade for the "6 hops"
16.8gms of each @ 5
16.8gms of each @ 180* Steep
Steep droped to 170 as soon as hops were added and dropped to 155 within 20 minutes. Did not remove my chiller because i didnt wanna risk infection.
Did i get a good steep on these? planning on adding them at 190* next time so it will drop to 170 hopefully as a low.

Dry hop schedule is at home but its something like
10gms each cascade, galaxy, amarillo
14gms citra simcoe
cenntennial will not be added since i only had a little over an ouce for the boil i really hope this dosent back fire since cenntennial is really the only earthy/spicy hop in the bunch

EDIT: also i might be going back up to waterbury in 2 weeks!! were thinking about renting an apartment up there and getting off the island
should have a couple cases if we end up going

In the name of beer I drank a Headie to harvest some yeast. I didn't even feel the slightest bit guilty being that it was 10:45 in the morning. I may "harvest" some more!

image-3277692578.jpg

image-2446695992.jpg

Brewed a 3 gallon batch on monday.
(...)
Dry hop schedule is at home but its something like
10gms each cascade, galaxy, amarillo
14gms citra simcoe

seems kinda light on the dry-hop, no? 44 grams, or 1.5 oz.

In the name of beer I drank a Headie to harvest some yeast.

why is your starter surrounded by ice packs? wouldn't you want to keep it at room temperature?

I've just kegged my DH1=Simcoe/Columbus, DH2=Simcoe/Columbus/Chinook. I am fairly certain Simcoe/Columbus is the base of the dryhop. I lacked the pine intensity with just Simcoe/Columbus, so I added Chinook to the 2nd dryhop. Will be ready for drinking Friday and I'll post results side by side with a real Heady. I also have a Simcoe/Centennial dry hop to compare.

I hope someone who gets the yeast can try a Simcoe/Columbus/Amarillo and see if that does the trick. I might go that way if this isn't quite right. I just wanted to mess around with the Simcoe/Columbus ratio to see if I could get it right. It feels close at 3:1.

I did 2.5 gallon batches, but my dry hop would have come out to 8.5 ounces in 5 gallons. I can say for sure that 5 ounces is not enough. The dry hop will need to be >5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch to match the aroma intensity.

Its Actually 58gms or 2oz
It was left overs i had from older hop bags, just wanted to bring up a simple heady technique ipa and see how the 5min and 180* steep did with flavor. At home now its around 2oz with 16oz simcoe 14oz citra 10oz cascade and amariilo and 10 galaxy, and ill be doing 2 additions 1 in carboy and 1 in keg with co2 bursts every couple days. Im trying to pick out headys punch in flavor while nailing the Dryhop afterwords.

35apr9g.jpg

Dang, you got all fancy since I got mine. I still haven't brewed with it yet :eek:, but I've got a friend who is going to bank it for me.

why is your starter surrounded by ice packs? wouldn't you want to keep it at room temperature?

Because I was cooling the starter prior to pitching. In that pic, the wort was about 150 degrees still. Currently it is sitting at 70 degrees on a stir plate.

I wonder if it's possible to give Conan to White Labs so they can take it nationwide. Wonder if that is legal.

I wonder if it's possible to sell Conan to White Labs so they can take it nationwide. Wonder if that is legal.

I bet they know where to find it if they want some....White Labs posted on FB about visiting Cascade recently. Got pretty excited thinking about the potential there.

Can they just use it as and re-sell it?

I think so. I meant they could find it in a can of Heady instead of buying the yeast. Or did you mean they could just buy some Heady in the first place?

I think so. I meant they could find it in a can of Heady instead of buying the yeast. Or did you mean they could just buy some Heady in the first place?

More of the legality of it, like does Kimmich own Conan? I'm sure they have the smarts to get some if they wanted to, and knew about it, I don't know if there is some code of conduct when it comes to private strains.

Is it not possible that Conan is a strain that White Labs carries and that Kimmich is just being obscure about his favorite yeast?

Is it not possible that Conan is a strain that White Labs carries and that Kimmich is just being obscure about his favorite yeast?

Technically possible, but extremely unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back