Heady Topper: Drink from the can or from the glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So I acquired this magnificent god nectar. The can says to drink from the can but I'm used to drinking from the glass for full aroma. Anyone with experience? I don't want to waste what little I have

1405467499499.jpg

Agreed that it needs to be in a glass, I don't know of any beer that would be best consumed from a can or anything plastic as well.

I am still not sure why this beer has gotten such a rave following, its a nice beer, no insult intended. Maybe I had some old or mistreated cans, but it was an average, well brewed, yeasty double IPA.

I am highly curious about this recommendation. Since most of our taste is actually tied to sensations in our sinuses, why would they recommend drinking it directly from the can?

I am highly curious about this recommendation. Since most of our taste is actually tied to sensations in our sinuses, why would they recommend drinking it directly from the can?

Having never had HT, I've been curious about this too. What in the world makes HT so special that it defies the contraints of physics and anatomy applicable to every other beer, where drinking straight from the bottle/can robs you of the aroma necessary to fully appreciate the beer?

I bought a case a couple months ago and I tried in glass and can and I'll say for some reason I did enjoy it better out of the can. Maybe it was all the floaties but it tasted harsher in the glass

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Having never had HT, I've been curious about this too. What in the world makes HT so special that it defies the contraints of physics and anatomy applicable to every other beer, where drinking straight from the bottle/can robs you of the aroma necessary to fully appreciate the beer?

The label recommends drinking from the can which I of course found silly initially too. Maybe the primary reason is its apparent ugliness for the non-homberewer-filtered beer drinking average consumer. However, my thought is that as we all of course know the sweet of our tongue is on the tip and the bitters on the sides and in the back, generally we prefer to experience full flavor from a glass vs just pouring straight over the sweets from a can or bottle. All that said, this beer is outrageously over hopped and my thoughts are that poured straight over the sweets the beers more balanced. Of course, everyone needs a schtick and the Alchemist has certainly succeeded in making us all think about and BS. What else makes it so special? Hop contracts and pr extremely well manufactured oils.

The label recommends drinking from the can which I of course found silly initially too. Maybe the primary reason is its apparent ugliness for the non-homberewer-filtered beer drinking average consumer. However, my thought is that as we all of course know the sweet of our tongue is on the tip and the bitters on the sides and in the back, generally we prefer to experience full flavor from a glass vs just pouring straight over the sweets from a can or bottle. All that said, this beer is outrageously over hopped and my thoughts are that poured straight over the sweets the beers more balanced. Of course, everyone needs a schtick and the Alchemist has certainly succeeded in making us all think about and BS. What else makes it so special? Hop contracts and pr extremely well manufactured oils.

Which is all well and good, except the different parts of the tongue for different flavors idea has been successfully debunked...

Drink it from the can... It's much better that way. Unless, your harvesting yeast from it, then go ahead and pour into a glass.

I would drink it from a glass (although I've never tried it and probably never will....likely overhyped, to a large degree).....the only canned beer I drink is typical light yellow weasel pi$$ when I need to hydrate while spending 3 hours cutting our grass.....good beer is a lil to heavy for lawnmowing (at least for me), and any good beer deserves a good pint glass :)

I think we could have had many a beer in the time spent on this subject.

Its a beer :) if you wanna look at it, pour it on a glass...if you just want to drink it, go straight from bottle and save yourself washing a glass!

I've had it both ways and I'd vote can. It seems like the aroma (dear lord is that aroma good) is concentrated in the can. Take a big sniff when sipping.

When drinking from the glass, it seems like you lose the concentration and therefore, flavor.

Drink it from the can. Why not, it's how the brewer intended it. Let's be honest, when poured in a glass it looks like cabbage soup. But the taste and aroma makes this an amazing beer.

it is an Avg beer with a crappy appearence....

open, pour (in to your face or a glass) and drink, way to much thought wasted on this...

T

Why does it look like that anyway? I've had beers with just as much if not more hops that are crystal clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can. You don't need to see that.

I would drink it from a glass (although I've never tried it and probably never will....likely overhyped, to a large degree).....the only canned beer I drink is typical light yellow weasel pi$$ when I need to hydrate while spending 3 hours cutting our grass.....good beer is a lil to heavy for lawnmowing (at least for me), and any good beer deserves a good pint glass :)

Heady is actually one of the few beers I say absolutely lives up to its hype. Such a good beer. Frankly, it's amazing.

I vote for can. I've tried both, mostly because I thought 'beer is always better in a glass, especially an IPA since I want to smell it'...I liked how the can concentrated the aroma and I had zero issues smelling the hoppy goodness.

For me, HT lives up to the hype. There are a few other IPAs that are just as good...but HT definitely belongs in that top group (though I haven't had a Pliny yet). To each their own, but I love this beer (in a can or in a glass).

Enjoy!

Perhaps the act of pouring from the can causes turbulence which leads to quicker oxidation and loss of carbonation? It would explain why when left in the can it tastes "better"....

And since everyone is giving their opinions I thought it was way over hyped. There are a bunch of iipas I'd take before ht. PTE, odell myrcenary, and Stone ruinten just to name a few are better imo.

There's a youtube video (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KiHU1A-4R5-O0kMWA&sig2=gs4nbNZXKzAJBF0--q2A5g) where John Kimmich explains the reasoning for drinking from the can. Preventing aeration of the beer over the time it takes to finish the can is the main reason given.

I do both, just depends on my mood. Sometimes I don't want to mix up the sediment while drinking, or I just want to look at this delicious beer, so I pour into a glass.

I think the difference in opinions here could be a question of "do you want your IPA to peel the enamel off your teeth?". If so, then Pliney and its like are your cup of tea. Heady Topper is much smoother. You would never guess that it is 80+ IBUs as you drink it... then Bam! All that hops hits your pallet. :-D

Drink from the can! Kimmich says to put your nose right up to the can opening and then open it. It's worth it!!!

I wish he wouldn't say to drink from the can. I much prefer it in a glass. Drinking a hoppy beer from a can and then from a tulip is worlds different...

I like the new IPA glasses from Dogfish Head / Sierra Nevada myself. I do like drinking it from the can though. Not just that beer though, any good beer. So much more convenient.

Back