Heading to the Smoky Mountains!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBC

Well-Known Boozer!
Reaction score
The wife and I are heading to the Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg Area for the first time.

Does anyone have any Brewery, Winery and/or Restaurant suggestions we must try?

The wife and I are heading to the Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg Area for the first time.

No, but if you like driving like you stole it - trail of the dragon and cherohala skyway are two infamous roads down there.

Innovation Brewing in Silva

It's on the south side of the park but worth the drive

Check out the Ole Smokey distillery in Gatlinburg. They have a store on one side of the isle and distill on the other side. It is screened off and the sour mash smells great. I thought the still was phony with water running for affect until the distiller behind the window screen filled a jar and held it up to the screen for me to smell. I stayed and talked to the distiller while the rest of my group looked at all of the flavored and watered down drinks.

Smoky Mountain Brewery is pretty good depending on location. The one in Pigeon-Forge I didn't like too well, but the Gatlinburg location was good (though it's been a few years). My boss raves about it as he's from that area, so hits it every chance he gets and brings me back a crowler or two when he thinks about it.

He's mentioned Gatlinburg Brewing Company too. I've yet to try that place as he didn't really recommend it if I was going to be up there with my kids. I think they're a beer only (no food) place, so never bothered to check it out. Yeehaw has a brewery up there too, HIGHLY recommend that. I love their dunkel! It's on "The Island" which also has a Margaritaville and Paula Dean's restaurant.

Calhoun's in Gatlinburg is pretty good as well as The Old Mill in Pigeon-Forge. The Old Mill is great for breakfast as is The Apple Barn (my wife's favorite). It's in Pigeon-Forge as well. Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg has become my new favorite since my last trip up there. Go early as there's always a line. Worth the wait.

I echo the others' comments about the Dragon's Tail. Stay away from the yellow line and watch for everybody else. Hope you have fun!

Check out the Ole Smokey distillery in Gatlinburg. They have a store on one side of the isle and distill on the other side. It is screened off and the sour mash smells great. I thought the still was phony with water running for affect until the distiller behind the window screen filled a jar and held it up to the screen for me to smell. I stayed and talked to the distiller while the rest of my group looked at all of the flavored and watered down drinks.
Thanks, this was on the list but I will try to make it a point to talk to the distiller for a few minutes if possible.

Smoky Mountain Brewery is pretty good depending on location. The one in Pigeon-Forge I didn't like too well, but the Gatlinburg location was good (though it's been a few years). My boss raves about it as he's from that area, so hits it every chance he gets and brings me back a crowler or two when he thinks about it.

He's mentioned Gatlinburg Brewing Company too. I've yet to try that place as he didn't really recommend it if I was going to be up there with my kids. I think they're a beer only (no food) place, so never bothered to check it out. Yeehaw has a brewery up there too, HIGHLY recommend that. I love their dunkel! It's on "The Island" which also has a Margaritaville and Paula Dean's restaurant.

Calhoun's in Gatlinburg is pretty good as well as The Old Mill in Pigeon-Forge. The Old Mill is great for breakfast as is The Apple Barn (my wife's favorite). It's in Pigeon-Forge as well. Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg has become my new favorite since my last trip up there. Go early as there's always a line. Worth the wait.

I echo the others' comments about the Dragon's Tail. Stay away from the yellow line and watch for everybody else. Hope you have fun!
Thanks for all the recommendations. I’ll try the smoky mountain Brewer in gatlinburg. That was on my list along with the old mill. I’ll add in the pancake pantry and apple barn also. We aren’t taking the kids, they are old enough now and the wife is a sous chef at a local university and she already told me we are eating out the whole week!

@TBC make sure to take the scenic route back to Pigeon Forge once. As you top the hill on the main drag in Gatlinburg it goes up into the National park. If you take it out of Gatlinburg, the scenic route is on the right. It's not far at all. That takes you back to main rd on the other side of GB(back towards Pigeon Forge).
I hope yous have fun

I didn't get to check out any breweries there, but trying samples at Ol Smokey was fun. If you want a good breakfast joint, Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg is awesome!

@TBC make sure to take the scenic route back to Pigeon Forge once. As you top the hill on the main drag in Gatlinburg it goes up into the National park. If you take it out of Gatlinburg, the scenic route is on the right. It's not far at all. That takes you back to main rd on the other side of GB(back towards Pigeon Forge).
I hope yous have fun
Thanks for the suggestio. I’ll make sure we go that way at least once while we are there.

Thanks @TBC for starting this thread & everyone else with the feedback. We will be in Pigeon Forge, TN next week. Hopefully we can hit some of these breweries and distilleries. I know my father in-law and I will be fly fishing one day while we are there.

Thanks @TBC for starting this thread & everyone else with the feedback. We will be in Pigeon Forge, TN next week. Hopefully we can hit some of these breweries and distilleries. I know my father in-law and I will be fly fishing one day while we are there.

forgot to respond earlier. Did you happen to catch any smoky mtn rainbows?

forgot to respond earlier. Did you happen to catch any smoky mtn rainbows?
I did catch a nice rainbow trout on Friday! It was a great way to end the trip.
Didn’t have time to go to any breweries or distilleries, but picked up BBQ at Preachers Smokehouse. Damn that was worth it!

Fun to read all this. I grew up down there, before there were breweries everywhere and long before the firestorm "a while back". Not a huge fan of Gatlinburg but I do miss the hikes to the Chimney peaks, LeConte and Thunderhead.

Back