Heading to Italy - Beer Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Will be in Italy, visiting Rome, Florence, Siena and Cinque Terre. Any artisanal beers I should seek out or breweries we should visit?

I was in Italy last fall. In Rome, I thought Bir & Fud had a great tap list. Open Baladin was pretty good too. In Florence, Brew Dog was the best thing we found. We didn't find much in Cinque Terra, but Enoteca Internazionale in Monterosso had a few craft beers so we went there twice to try the different beers and people watch. Good anchovies too. We didn't go Siena.

I will second the Brew Dog tap room in Florence. I think that was the best beer experience we had. It's definitely worth checking out as they had some very unique stuff from Europe (all over, Scandinavian, etc). Also, Archea Brewery in Florence is supposed to be good. We didn't make it there, though. Mercato Centrale has a good little bar and excellent food options, but no A/C so pick the time of day you go wisely!

In Rome, there is a great little bottle shop near Campo de Fiori called Johnny's Off License. Good selection of Lazio region beer and they brew and sell some of their own. Also, I picked up a Cantillon Kriek from there so that was awesome. There's a Peroni beer house (Antica Birreria Peroni) in Rome that is supposed to be cool but we didn't make it there. Open Baladin, also near Campo de Fiori is worth checking out.

As for Cinque Terre, I recommend just sitting back and drinking Peroni or Birra Moretti and enjoying the views while taking it slow. Not much beer to be had around there.

We didn't stay in Siena but did three nights in just outside Montepulciano and I would definitely focus on the wines in that region. Brunellos, Nobiles, etc. All so good and reasonably priced.

When you're in Firenze try Archea brewery, it's a nice little local place with great brew on tap. I fancy the saison and oddly enough, their sour.

If you're just out and about, try Poretti, they have a couple of styles by the bottle. # 5,6,7 and 9 are my favorite....some #s have sub styles, all good

I second the wine comment...

Did a winery tour in Florence, one of my favorite experiences while visiting Italy!

Back