Heading Powder - Do the effects diminish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THRobinson

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of AHS Fat Tire, and decided to add heading powder to it because I like a bit of foam.

Bottled 3 weeks ago and every week I chill/open a bottle just to test the progress. Week one showed some fizz, week 2 was a good normal amount, today's test however.... I poured maybe an inch of brew into a glass and got about 5" of head.

This stuff is foaming like crazy when poured, even when poured slowly at an angle to reduce head.

Will it go back to normal in a few weeks? get worse maybe?

I bottled with the correct amounts of dextrose and heading powders from what the directions stated.

Just amazed that in a week it went from perfect amount of carbonation just needed some time to flavour properly... to having so much foam it's undrinkable... literally... gotta tilt way back to get the beer out, by then you're covered in foam. :)

Any ideas on what's goin' on?

The only heading agent I have used is the pre-made Kreamy-X from Muntons. It has corn sugar, DME, and a heading agent in a package designed for five gallons of beer.

I love this stuff and use it for stouts and creams ales. I have not noticed any change in carb or head levels in the time it took to finish these beers.

Are you sure your beer was completely done before you bottled? That, and using the incorrect amount of priming sugar for the amount of beer are the two biggest reasons for overcarbonation/foaming. Next you get into things like infections....

At any rate, put them all into the fridge to slow whatever process is going on.

Pez.

Well, the AHS kits come with the sugar for bottling, pre measured in a small bag so, dissolved that into some warm water, put into the bucket as I siphoned the beer into it, to mix it without getting much air involved, same time added the heading powder (also dissolved into water as per directions) then bottled.

Amounts should be fine, ordered another batch from Austin Homebrew, same amount of sugar for bottling came. No heading powder this time.

Hence confusion... infection could be an option still.

Downside is, no way I'll fit all that beer in my fridge unless I give up eating food for a while. :)

Gonna chill/test a 2nd bottle on the off chance is was just the 1 bottle. Figured I'd post and ask since never used a heading agent before and wasn't 100% sure of the affects. Other than a slightly heavier longer lasting head.

Trying to find good links for checking for beer infections... so far no milky layer, strands or stuff stuck in the neck. Some particles still floating around but, maybe just stuff still settling since only been bottled a few weeks?

On a side note... did a google image search on "signs of beer infection" and wow... lots of gross images, none beer related. :)

I read this link
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1030387-post8.html

So, maybe I'm ok... opened the 2nd bottle today and had normal fizz, but was only half as clear so, may be too soon to assume infection yet. It is only 3 weeks old, but being my first batch from a kit vs a Coopers can kit, I wanted to try a bottle weekly as a part of the learning process... see how it progresses and looks/tastes at each stage.

I have a Corona style beer in my secondary right now, bottling in about a week, just wanted to suss out any issues now in case it's something I did wrong and can avoid when bottling the next batch.

Back