head space in your cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate504

Reaction score
I just kegged my first beer tonight :ban: and I was curious as to how much head space is too much in a regular (5 gal) cornie? I seem to be about 3/4 gallon short of filling it (about 4-5 inches)

I'm not going to loose too much sleep over it I primed it w/ 2/3c. of corn sugar and I would think that that should kick off enough co2 to preserve the beer for a day or three at which time I should have the rest of my co2 supplies via USPS and I will give it a good shot of gas and let it age until christmas.

anyway waht was I talking bout :drunk: :D
j/k

When you can, purge it with CO2 by pressurizing to 20 psi and relieving the pressure. Re-pressurize to 20 psi, relieve the pressure to serving pressure (10-12 psi is a good starting point). That'll prevent oxidation/stale beer.

Natural carbonation is somewhat dependant on head space, but kegged beer on CO2 will normalize within a few days whether it is over- or under-carbonated. 4-5 inches should be fine.

Be careful when you do that though. You don't want to be sloshing the brew back and forth as the pressure differences will cause some foaming to get into your gas line when you depressurize it IF you do that from the regulator and not the pressure valve. My pressure valve had seating problems, so once I got it seated right, I didn't mess with it and used to reduce pressure on the regulator itself....

I've had as much as half a keg's worth, when I've done dry hopping experiments. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I just burp the keg after a couple days. That will expel most of the air without losing too much carbonation.

Back