Head space in conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a conical. Currently i'm only capable of brewing 10 gallon batches, so I intended on buying a 15 gallon conical. However...rather than doing things twice, I can see myself stepping up to equipment to do 15-20 gallon batches at some point in the next year, I brew with friends and we all share the same taste in beer so we don't mind having similar beers on tap.

If i do a 10 gallon batch in say a 25 gallon conical, am I just going to ruin my beer due to oxidation? I've had oxidation happen in my smaller batches - trying to age in secondary for too long with a dry airlock, so I'd hate to ruin a big batch due to a lot of headspace. How much of an issue is it really? Can i just stick in a hose attached to a co2 tank and give it a quick burst of CO2 since it's heavier than air it will purge the o2 out the top?

Oxidation won't be a problem. CO2 is heavier than air, so the fermentation process will put a thick layer of CO2 on top of the beer. When you pull samples or yeast off of the bottom, the CO2 will fall along with the beer.

I'm planning to buy a conical. Currently i'm only capable of brewing 10 gallon batches, so I intended on buying a 15 gallon conical. However...rather than doing things twice, I can see myself stepping up to equipment to do 15-20 gallon batches at some point in the next year, I brew with friends and we all share the same taste in beer so we don't mind having similar beers on tap.

If i do a 10 gallon batch in say a 25 gallon conical, am I just going to ruin my beer due to oxidation? I've had oxidation happen in my smaller batches - trying to age in secondary for too long with a dry airlock, so I'd hate to ruin a big batch due to a lot of headspace. How much of an issue is it really? Can i just stick in a hose attached to a co2 tank and give it a quick burst of CO2 since it's heavier than air it will purge the o2 out the top?

I doubt you have to worry at all. O2 is good at the beginning of fermentation. Evenutally when fermentation kicks in the CO2 generated by the yeast should push the Oxygen out and/or dilute it significantly. Remember, some commercial beer is still brewed in open fermenters (although it's moved to closed environment after krauzen falls.

In my opinion you should be OK.....or you could just get two smaller fermenters that equal 20 gallons combined. That's what I did with the custom Conicals that I built....it provides more flexibility but I can still ferment 10 gallon batches if I need to.:mug:

7882-image002.jpg

I doubt you have to worry at all. O2 is good at the beginning of fermentation. Evenutally when fermentation kicks in the CO2 generated by the yeast should push the Oxygen out and/or dilute it significantly. Remember, some commercial beer is still brewed in open fermenters (although it's moved to closed environment after krauzen falls.

In my opinion you should be OK.....or you could just get two smaller fermenters that equal 20 gallons combined. That's what I did with the custom Conicals that I built....it provides more flexibility but I can still ferment 10 gallon batches if I need to.:mug:

7882-image002.jpg

I LIKE those! may I ask if you have build logs on those anywhere? Approximate materials costs?

Cheers!
-matt

I LIKE those! may I ask if you have build logs on those anywhere? Approximate materials costs?

Cheers!
-matt

PM me your email address and I'll send you the plans. I got the cones from Toledo metal spinning but had the design built by a local machine shop.

PM me your email address and I'll send you the plans. I got the cones from Toledo metal spinning but had the design built by a local machine shop.

Hello, could I please get these plans as well? Would really appreciate it!

Back