head retention...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
New guy here, but what is with all the concern about head retention, big foamy head, lace on the glass. What am I missing here? I remember from my college keg parties, foam and head were not desirable! Why are they now?

In college foam/head is considered bad because it takes up valuable beer space in the Solo cup. In the rest of the world the right size and color of head, along with good head retention and lacing, are considered signs of a well-made beer. No head can mean poor carbonation, poor retention can mean a variety of things, including dirty/soapy glassware. As Setesh said, the bubbles release aroma which enhances your sense of taste.

To me it's all about the presentation! A freshly-poured beer just looks better with a nice, well-proportioned, foamy head. It speaks to how well carbonation was achieved as well. And the lacing just reminds me that I did a good job. That and the alcohol legs. :D

Why do you think they use lace on women's lingerie . It just makes everything sexier:mug:

I get why not enough carbonation is no good. But, then, what about the other end of the spectrum? Does a little over carbonating help with enhancing the taste? When does good head turn into too much head?

(I guess now is as good a time as any for me to get very familiar with HBT's inappropriate post policy. But I really do want to know the answer on over-carbing!)

I remember reading that in Germany a pour was considered proper if 1/4 was head. I just like a couple finger's worth of thick, creamy head on mine. Looks more complete that way. And on IPA's, I noticed the head tastes like citrus cream. Yum.:tank:

Ive noticed that overcarbing can give an off flavor that can take away from the flavors in the beer. It happens.

I get why not enough carbonation is no good. But, then, what about the other end of the spectrum? Does a little over carbonating help with enhancing the taste? When does good head turn into too much head?

(I guess now is as good a time as any for me to get very familiar with HBT's inappropriate post policy. But I really do want to know the answer on over-carbing!)

Carbonation needs to be appropriate to the style or at the very least your personal taste. So a Pilsner tends to have higher carbonation and Mild much lower. Head retention has more to do with ingredients, mash schedule, clean glassware and lastly carbonation level.

I have a Brown ale whose keg just kicked that had epic head retention. A perfect pour was achieved at 6 psi (and tasted awesome). The twelve bottles I did with carb drops carbonated to about 12 psi'ish (whatever the standard is for Coopers drops). Opening a bottle requires immediately pouring into a 22 oz glass and even that yields a full glass plus 2" of head over the top of the glass.

So yes, there is such a thing as too much (beer) head and excessive head retention.

I remember reading that in Germany a pour was considered proper if 1/4 was head. I just like a couple finger's worth of thick, creamy head on mine. Looks more complete that way. And on IPA's, I noticed the head tastes like citrus cream. Yum.:tank:

this is true actually. my homebrew apprentice right now is a german friend. they have no regard when pouring beers, just straight down into the bottom of the glass. i never let him pour mine for me!
in a lot of their brewpubs, if the head isn't at least 1/4 of the pour, and a nice perfect dome coming out of the glass, you can actually get your beer for free.

I remember reading that in Germany a pour was considered proper if 1/4 was head.

Depends on the beer and the region. "Ein Mass" of Bavarian Lager at Oktoberfest can be a 1/3 foam. An Alt in Dusseldorf should have an 1/8" or so and lacing until the end of the glass unless you add the traditional chunk(s) of fruit.

I prefer the old London pint with the nice line indicating where beer has to end. These were common in much of Germany as well when Kolsch or Pilsner were served in smaller glasses.

Yeah, 1/3 of the pour was the other end of the head spectrum. My Bavarian hefe @ 2.8 Vco2 was like that. Nearly a glass of foam no mater how carefully you poured it.

Over carbing can give the beer a sharper/harsher edge. Not a chemistry guru, but I recall hearing it comes from carbonic acid that goes along with the carbonation.

Yeah, 1/3 of the pour was the other end of the head spectrum. My Bavarian hefe @ 2.8 Vco2 was like that. Nearly a glass of foam no mater how carefully you poured it.
Have tried a real Weizen glass and the traditional pouring method...crappy video...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LSLUg4YTwc[/ame]

Do not forget to leave about 1/2 oz in the bottom to swirl.

Back