Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commonsense

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone else uses percentage wise on agents to help head retention. Generally I use around 10% crystal malts (or other things like flaked barley etc). I have gone up to 18% on a British IPA that came out fantastic.

I guess my main reason for asking is I'm going to brew an Alt soon with CaraRed and I'm debating on 14% or 10%. I have no experience with this malt and I have read it may be too sweet for more than 10% usage.

Am I being to obsessive about a 4% difference? :) Any thoughts are appreciated.

Seems like 10% crystal/cara would be plenty for head retention. I have a Munich Helles on tap right now with no crystal at all and it has great head retention.

Enjoy the brew. Cheers.

Am I being to obsessive about a 4% difference? :) Any thoughts are appreciated.

Just use your commensense brother..jkjkjk.

I think your right there in the ball park at 10%... That said, what is the rest of the grain bill? Whats going to be your mash temp? whats your base malt? All of those are going to have to be taken into account as well.

Cheers
Jay

Grain Bill:

4 lbs Pilsen Malt
3.8 lbs Dark Munich
1 lb CaraRed
0.2 lbs Carafa I

I'm debating on taking the Dark Munich down to 3.5 lbs and the CaraRed up to 1.3 lbs. Mash temp will be 155. Am I being way to picky here or will the extra 0.3 lbs of CaraRed add a noticeable degree of head retention or perhaps more candy-like sweetness?

Back