"Hazy" ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvinth34

Reaction score
Hoping to get options and input on the recipe below. Trying to emulate the northeast style ipa, with a variety of hops. Not sure if these hops play well together or no, and never done a whirlpool before. Also not sure if I should ad wheat into the grain bill or stick with oats for the Haze. Input is appreciated!

View attachment 1464240826337.jpg

Looks good. Imo too much oats, half it and use some flaked barley or flaked wheat in place.

MO is too strongly flavoured to use on its own especially with maris otter. Use maybe 50/50 with a paler malt.

Hop stand is not long enough increase to at least 30 mins

Also hop combo is good, but warrior at 15 mins is pointless.

Looks good. Imo too much oats, half it and use some flaked barley or flaked wheat in place.

MO is too strongly flavoured to use on its own especially with maris otter. Use maybe 50/50 with a paler malt.

I agree with most of this. If you want a little more malt character from your base malt without going too far, try Golden Promise instead of Maris Otter and just cut the Munich out. I think your percentage of oats is fine, that being said I tend to go with malted or flaked wheat instead for these beers.

Thanks, I can't remember the reason, but I listed Morris Otter instead of 2 row. Might even go back to the 2 row. Probably go half and half with oats and wheat though get it up to 15 percent between the two, combined.
I was working on the hop stand and it kept throwing the ibus way off with 30 minutes. That's why I dropped it and added warrior at 15. Is the calculation off because it's difficult to calculate the ibus from hop stands? Also on dry hop I decided to go 1 of Simcoe due to the strength of it and off flavors you can get (cat piss)

Hopstand calculations are not scientifically well established. My advice is lower the stand temp to below 80°C, where isomerisation doesn't occur.

Plus ibu calculations don't factor saturation.

1:1:1 ratio will be fine with those hops.

I would definitely use 20% flaked wheat or so for a soft, hazy IPA. It will contribute more to haze than oats and has a better mouthfeel for an IPA IMO. And, it gives that bit of wheat character that will help the hops seem more fruity

also, I think youd want to do longer than 10min for a hopstand

I'll echo decreasing the amount of flaked oats. I tried brewing one of these recently with almost that much and it drinks way too thick/heavy. The softness is there, but not the lightness, if that makes sense and I'm pretty sure it's due to the oats. The mouthfeel is super soft, but still wrong. Sub some flaked wheat and back off the oats to around a 1/2 lb, just my opinion.

If you really want that hazy look, add a couple ounces of baking flour to your boil, it works great with no real additions to flavor or mouth feel

If you really want that hazy look, add a couple ounces of baking flour to your boil, it works great with no real additions to flavor or mouth feel

I don't know why people are so stuck to this idea. You don't need flour. None of the pros use flour.

Here's two different batches of this style that I've made. No flour. Recipe used was from this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046
basically
44% 2 Row
44% Maris Otter)
4% Flaked Oats
4% Flaked Barley
2% Wheat
2% Honey Malt

1318 yeast.

20160413_223845.jpg

20160421_214543.jpg

Agreed about not adding flour, I BIAB with 5 gallon paint strianer bags for easy cleanup but it leaves all my beers cloudy. It takes a few weeks in the keg cold to clear them or gelatin. I tend to turn around drinking my NEIPA in two weeks so they never clear.

I don't know, man, I would never do that personally. For me, I'm either going to not care about clarity or strive for clarity, depending on style. I'm never going to strive for turbidity. I don't see the point. I enjoy this style, but the haziness in my opinion is more of a bi-product of the techniques to get the flavor, aroma and mouthfeel, not the goal.

The tired hands approach sounds like someone who's driving for aesthetics over method. All the big ones around here admit that the haze is simply a byproduct of the process to get the taste and aroma. In fact somewhere there is a video from the alchemist where he opens a year old can and it pours very clear with a lot of sediment at the bottom. They certainly aren't aiming for permanent haze, just a particular beer.

Hazy should not be a driver on recipes for these beers. You should be aiming to get your water right, using the hops in the right stage, and creating a soft, fruity, smooth, super aromatic, IPA. If you do that right, the haze follows because it's coming from the process.

Back