Hazy, Citrus/Passion fruit, Bold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtemple

Reaction score
Looking at creating technically an Imperial IPA of sorts, with a juicy but definitely dank hop presence, with notes of lemon peel as well.

Probably about 75% Pale 2row, 20% wheat white, and 4% each flaked oats and flaked wheat (still playing with numbers to really get a bright yellow/golden color, about 6 SRM).
Hops adds are fun. About 58% Citra and 15% Azacca at 90m, 15% of each at 15m.
What do y'all think?

I like more late hops, personally. Most of my APAs and IPAs have a 15 min addition, another at flameout, a hefty dry hop, and then whatever I need at the top of the boil to hit my IBU target.

If you want hazy and juicy, I would go much lighter early boil additions.

My last double hazy ended up nearly 9%, but I only had 23 IBUs bittering totalling less than 1oz from my boil additions, just enough to balance it. I used Incognito in the whirlpool, a full 15g which is equivalent to about 4oz of pellet hops, along with another (nearly) 4oz of mostly Cryo stuff. So round about an 8oz whirlpool, for a 5 gallon batch.

I used about 12oz in the dry hop (again, I used Spectrum, so 15g of that and 7oz of pellets, mostly Cryo again)

Last edited:
If you want hazy and juicy, I would go much lighter early boil additions.

My last double hazy ended up nearly 9%, but I only had 23 IBUs bittering totalling less than 1oz from my boil additions, just enough to balance it. I used Incognito in the whirlpool, a full 15g which is equivalent to about 4oz of pellet hops, along with another (nearly) 4oz of mostly Cryo stuff. So round about an 8oz whirlpool, for a 5 gallon batch.

I used about 12oz in the dry hop (again, I used Spectrum, so 15g of that and 7oz of pellets, mostly Cryo again)
Thanks! I changed it up to the below:

Mash​

Strike Temp — 161.2 °F
Temperature — 150 °F60 min
Temperature — 168 °F — 10 min

Malts​

(74.1%) — Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row
(18.5%) — Cargill Wheat White
(3.7%) — Briess Oats, Flaked
(3.7%) — Wheat Flaked

Hops​

Azacca 15% — Boil — 60 min
Citra 12% — Boil — 60 min
Azacca 15% — Boil — 15 min
Citra 12% — Boil — 15 min
Azacca 15% — Dry Hop — 7 days
Citra 12% — Dry Hop — 7 days

Yeast​

Omega OYL-061 Voss Kveik

So knocked down the boil to have only about 20% at the 60m and the rest down the line. Maybe a 28 IBU target.

I would drop your 15 minute additions completely, and move all of them, plus half your 60 minutes into a whirlpool at 75-80°C for 20 minutes.

What sort of quantities are we talking? The percentages are useful but you'll get a very different beer if you're using 500g of hops versus 100.

Thanks! I changed it up to the below:

Mash​

Strike Temp — 161.2 °F
Temperature — 150 °F60 min
Temperature — 168 °F — 10 min

Malts​

(74.1%) — Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row
(18.5%) — Cargill Wheat White
(3.7%) — Briess Oats, Flaked
(3.7%) — Wheat Flaked

Hops​

Azacca 15% — Boil — 60 min
Citra 12% — Boil — 60 min
Azacca 15% — Boil — 15 min
Citra 12% — Boil — 15 min
Azacca 15% — Dry Hop — 7 days
Citra 12% — Dry Hop — 7 days

Yeast​

Omega OYL-061 Voss Kveik

So knocked down the boil to have only about 20% at the 60m and the rest down the line. Maybe a 28 IBU target.
I would ditch the voss if I were you in favor of WY1318, WLP002, or even WLP001. I say this because every hazy i have tried with kveik was incredibly thin on the mouthfeel and a bit too tart. I know kveik makes the proess easy, but it never delivered the desired results.

Back