Haze in stockpot after cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboygentry

Reaction score
So after I have cleaned my stockpot there is a dark film at the bottom and sides. It won't come off, I have cleaned it right after my brew day. I'm an all grain brewer so nothing was burned during the mash, any idea how to get my stockpot looking like new?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bar keepers friend. Thats the best thing ive used to clean pots

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If it's aluminum,that's an oxidation layer intended to be left on it to keep the metal from leaching into the wort. The wort being acidic,it can get metallic flavors.

Hm,I use a 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot,& never got that oxide layer in it like aluminum does. Try cleaning it off with some PBW & a scrubber. I do that,& my BK/MT stays shiny as new inside.

If it's aluminum,that's an oxidation layer intended to be left on it to keep the metal from leaching into the wort. The wort being acidic,it can get metallic flavors.

I think I read somewhere that the same applies to stainless steel.

Yes & no. SS does it so light you can't absolutely see it. you clean it,wipe the excess water off with a towel,& let it air dry. That's supposed to be enough according to a link someone posted about it a while back. I didn't happen to save it though. Good quality stainless shouldn't have an oxide layer that looks like it does on aluminum though.

I have a stainless steel kettle and I stumbled on a great way to clean it that requires NO scrubbing or abrasives at all. Fill the kettle with hot water, heat it up to about 200 degrees, then dump in a couple ounces of PBW. Kill the heat and let it sit for a half hour. Empty it and all that scale will come RIGHT off. Before and after shots attached.

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

@lovesipa, that is what mine looks like. Thanks for the note.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I get the same kind of film in my kettle. Is this something that can effect future brews or is it merely a cosmetic thing?

I'm not bothered by the look of it, but if it is going to change the flavor of my future beers, then I'd be more diligent about cleaning it.

Back