Having troubles...need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZFrag

Reaction score
Hi. Bought a stout kit early in the week in hopes of getting it before the weekend. They didn't ship it fast and it sat all weekend in transit. I bought liquid yeast with a cold pack and was afraid it killed all my yeast. I brewed, and it looked like the yeast in bag inside of the sealed bag was busted, and had been sitting all weekend. I was afraid all my yeast was dead. I brewed on Sunday. Usually the next day there is a rolling boil. Yesterday...nothing. I just went out there....saw 1 bubble in the airlock...might be from me opening the door of the fermentor. What should I do? I ordered more yeast from Amazon (faster) will be here Thursday. Can I add more yeast?

With liquid yeast you should be making starters.

But, the yeast is in the outer pack, the small inner pack in a Wyeast smack pack is nutrients. This is really only to proof the yeast, tell you that it is still viable. If you look in the fermenter and there is a layer of foam or even bubbles on the surface it is fermenting and you can just let it go.

You can add the yeast on Thursday if you still think you need it.

I had a similar situation over the summer and thought for sure my yeast was toast. I did build a starter to be sure. It eventually took off and I used it with no issues. Hopefully yours gets going!

If it's WYeast, that inner pouch is just nutrients, not the yeast.

I've had WYeast arrive slushy/frozen and warm, but I *ALWAYS* make a starter and I have never, ever, EVER had a WYeast that did not work.

Back