Having a beer tasting party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrClint

Reaction score
I'm having a beer tasting party today with a few folks. It's home brew versus commercial beer and an early sampling of my first BIAB SMaSH.
1. Craft-A-Brew Hefeweizen beer kit vs Josephsbrau Hefeweizen
2. NB Caribou Slobber beer kit vs Moose Drool
3. Stand alone early tasting of my SMaSH beer.

Should be fun without too much cork (or bottle cap?) sniffery. I have high hopes for my brews and (from my highly subjective samplings) expect them to perform well. A ton of food to be served (chicken wings, etc) as well. That's why we home brew right? To party! :)

I'm having a beer tasting party today with a few folks. It's home brew versus commercial beer and an early sampling of my first BIAB SMaSH.

Should be fun without too much cork (or bottle cap?) sniffery. I have high hopes for my brews and (from my highly subjective samplings) expect them to perform well. A ton of food to be served (chicken wings, etc) as well. That's why we home brew right? To party! :)
Sounds like fun.

I think you are missing some info like where and when..

I called an audible in the pre-game warm ups. Josephsbrau Hefeweizen was not very tasty at all, nor do I think it is a good representation of the hefe type. I think hefe beer should be a little cloudy/hazy from the wheat proteins. This one is a bit too clear and just not that good (to my palate). Maybe I got a skunky lot? I swapped in Widmer Bros Hefeweizen instead. A much better challenger in my opinion.
1. Craft-A-Brew Hefeweizen beer kit vs Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen

Last edited:
Caribou Slobber for a rock solid win. It was a hit. I will be brewing it again. Nothing else even registered. Hints of caramel, smooth, rich and balanced. People that never liked dark beer were very surprised and enjoyed it. Moose Drool was shrugged off.

Hefe is an acquired taste it seems. My home brew and the commercial offering did not go over all that well. Maybe some other day? Folks were beer'd out after that (how is that even possible?), and sort of moved on to other things, so I held back on my all grain brew, and get to keep it to myself.

The wings, jalapeño poppers and coleslaw went over really well. Costco watermelon was off the chain. Dang, I have to go to work tomorrow. Cheers!

Caribou Slobber for a rock solid win. It was a hit. I will be brewing it again. Nothing else even registered. Hints of caramel, smooth, rich and balanced. People that never liked dark beer were very surprised and enjoyed it. Moose Drool was shrugged off.

Hefe is an acquired taste it seems. My home brew and the commercial offering did not go over all that well. Maybe some other day? Folks were beer'd out after that (how is that even possible?), and sort of moved on to other things, so I held back on my all grain brew, and get to keep it to myself.

The wings, jalapeño poppers and coleslaw went over really well. Costco watermelon was off the chain. Dang, I have to go to work tomorrow. Cheers!
Thats funny because I always found wheat beer went over well. Women usually like wheat beer and people who don’t like beer like wheat beer. It was the most popular beer in Germany at one point that they had to pass laws because there was no wheat for bread, it was all being used for beer.

Thats funny because I always found wheat beer went over well.
I was surprised as well. As I roll out to more and more people, I may get different results. It dawned on me that the goal line should shift from general acceptance (which is nice) to brewing what my wife prefers. She's not much of a beer drinker, but she does see where the money goes. If I have what she likes on hand when we Grubhub for takeout or have folks over, I will be in a good place. Happy wife, happy life, etc. :)

Back