Have lots of Mt. Hood, want to make IPA - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
As stated in the title, lot of fresh new Mt. Hood right now. Need to make IPA for buddy at work who loves hops. Check mah recipe and see if it make-a the sense.

10 lbs. Two Row Malt
1 lb. Crystal 10 Malt
2 lbs. Flaked Corn
2 oz. of the Hood for 60
1 oz. of the Hood for 45
1 oz. of the Hood for 30
1 oz. of the Hood for 15
1 oz. of the Hood at flameout
Dryhop of the Hood for a week in secondary

Think this will smack the hop bomb down hard enough?

For max hop flavor and aroma, skip the 45 and 30 additions and put it all in equally in the last 10 minutes.

Ex:
2 oz @ in brew kettle - run wort right on top of it and boil as usual(first wort hop technique)
then:
1 oz @ 10
1 @ 7
1 @ 5
1 @ flameout

Dryhop 2oz for two weeks.

It'll be hip hoppity.

An alternative to dry hopping is making a hop tea and adding it after fermentation has completed.

Hop tea maximizes the hop flavor/aroma, doesn't leech any wort. and doesn't add any bitterness.

So this is an ok hop for this application? Most of my issue is the type, most everyone is using very high alpha stuff, Simcoe, Warrior, G. Bullet, Cascade, Amarillo, you know. I just want to use these nice hops to build an IPA without the higher cost of the big AA guys right now. I really like the last 10 min. idea and the first wort hopping for this. Anyone have issues with the grain bill?

Don't worry about all those high alpha hops. Make a SMaSH (single malt & single hop) to learn from. Mt Hood really have a beautiful highlight when used at flameout, so I'd showcase them there. Can you cool your wort super quick (in under 10 minutes??) if so use them as your FWH for flavor (and getting the IBU's you need) and then dump the motherload in (3-4 oz worth) at flameout to really get to know what they're about. They are really clean and nice.

Back