Have about $500 to spend on a great starter kit and I need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strawman419

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have read How to Brew and I need to get going on actually brewing. The thing is that I don't have any equipment but bottles. So, here is what I am thinking, I want to start with extract but I am already stoked to do some all grain brews. But, when I do extract, I want to do a full boil.

So, my equipment list is as follows:

Starter kit here:
http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning-Homebrew-Kit-Upgrade-1-_p_1703.html

I want to buy from this place because it is right around the corner and I like the guys in the times I have picked their brains.

Immersion chiller:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D4WH5A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Brewpot:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...pots/megapot-with-ball-valve-brewmometer.html
I don't want to do double batches. Is the 8 gallon enough? From what I read, it seems the 10 may be a better choice.

Should I get the false bottom for the brewpot?

Then 100 bucks for a mash tun. I figure just one of the round coolers. I saw the chart on one of the threads discussing the proper size mash tun. Is there any reason not just to go for the ten gallon? Again, I don't want to do double batches, would a 5 or 7 be better?

I have a turkey fryer burner I could use. Is the banjo burner that much better?

Am I missing anything? I want good equipment but of course I want value for my money. Am I wasting any money? Should I be buying something different? I value all opinions.

I know this has been covered on other threads but I would like opinions on this set up. I will let you know what I end up buying. I think my first batch will be a smoked stout and my mouth always waters!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a couple of my thoughts, I have a 7 1/2 gallon brew pot and seems to work ok for most of my brews, though I have gotten pretty close to the top of my pot during a boil. 8 gal may work better for me. I'd go with the 10gal mash tun. Even if your only doing 5gal batches, a higher gravity beer with a large grain bill can fill it up pretty quickly.

I'd say go with the 10 gallon pot. I have an 8 and just upgrade to a 10. It has way less chance to boil over.

I would also go with a copper immersion chiller. The are cheaper and I think they work better than stainless from a scientific perspective. Maybe someone else can confirm this though

Hey Guys,

I have read How to Brew and I need to get going on actually brewing. The thing is that I don't have any equipment but bottles. So, here is what I am thinking, I want to start with extract but I am already stoked to do some all grain brews. But, when I do extract, I want to do a full boil.

So, my equipment list is as follows:

Starter kit here:
http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning-Homebrew-Kit-Upgrade-1-_p_1703.html

I want to buy from this place because it is right around the corner and I like the guys in the times I have picked their brains.

That'll work, I would stock up on more bungs and airlocks too... they're cheap

Copper might get you more bang for your buck, but this will certainly work

Brewpot:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...pots/megapot-with-ball-valve-brewmometer.html
I don't want to do double batches. Is the 8 gallon enough? From what I read, it seems the 10 may be a better choice.

Go 15! 10 gal will work, but it might leave you wishing you had the extra room. I use a 15 gallon because I could easily see myself boiling over with a 10 gallon pot. If you look on Amazon, Bayou classic has a 15 gal SS pot for around $140 with free shipping. No ball valve and thermometer though, but if you're not mashing in your boil kettle you can get away without a thermometer if you have a good hand held one (Search thermapen).

Should I get the false bottom for the brewpot?

Not if you're going to use a cooler.

Then 100 bucks for a mash tun. I figure just one of the round coolers. I saw the chart on one of the threads discussing the proper size mash tun. Is there any reason not just to go for the ten gallon? Again, I don't want to do double batches, would a 5 or 7 be better?

10 gallon home depot mash tun will do the job just fine and will cost you around $50-$60

I have a turkey fryer burner I could use. Is the banjo burner that much better?

Turkey fryer burners work just fine, but I can't speak for the banjo.

Am I missing anything? I want good equipment but of course I want value for my money. Am I wasting any money? Should I be buying something different? I value all opinions.

I'd buy your boil kettle and immersion chiller first as they necessary for full boils for extract too... Do a couple of batches and then decide if you want to press with more equipment for All Grain. If you want equipment that will help you make better beer right off the bat, look at fermentation control. When you make the move to All Grain I would pick up another pot (7 gal would work fine) for heating sparge water, beer smith, and a good thermometer.

I know this has been covered on other threads but I would like opinions on this set up. I will let you know what I end up buying. I think my first batch will be a smoked stout and my mouth always waters!

Thanks in advance!

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe think of this in phases. Like the others have posted, get the starter kit, a good kettle, and the copper IC. When you are ready to take the leap to AG, phase two will start. You can then get your 10 gal MT, a nice grain mill and maybe a new burner. I'm still using my Bayou classic burner and it works great for my 7 gal boils.

Thanks for the advice guys! One response said I don't need a false bottom in my brew pot if I use a cooler. But is the false bottom nice to act as a strainer when I drain my wort into the fermentation bucket? I know I could whirlpool and auto siphon but I just thought the ball valve would be so easy.

Thanks, again.

I would see if you could switch out the 5gal carboy for an additional 6 or 6.5gal fermenter, be it glass, better bottle, or bucket. That way you have another one available for primary fermentation and if you do choose to do a secondary you can still use it for that too. Lately people have just been doing longer primaries for the most part so you don't necessarily need a secondary. My 5gal carboy mostly sits unused, plus you can get plenty of them very inexpensively since office water coolers are mostly made of #1 plastic right now... I just buy them at the supermarket for $6 and when I'm done I clean them and return them for a deposit.

I wouldn't bother with a false bottom in your brew pot. There's nothing wrong with the idea but it's just not really necessary and might be more of a pain than it's worth (clogging/cleaning), I'd invest the money elsewhere at least for now. It can be nice to strain the wort but you don't need to, all the trub compacts down pretty nicely.

An 8gal pot is certainly enough (it's what I use most of the time for my boils) but a 10gal will be nicer to have, a little extra space is nice. I have both sizes, I need two because I heat sparge water while draining the mash into the boil pot... 8gal is perfectly fine but if I didn't also have the 10gal I think it'd be a little annoying.

I'd prioritize a fermentation fridge once you get your main equipment (check out the ebay temp controller thread in the DIY forum if you wanna do it on the cheap), it really helps in controlling the yeast flavor contribution.

Some small additions for bottling can be really nice, specifically a vinator and a bottling tree. Bottling is the most annoying part so spending an extra few $ to make it less irritating is money well spent if you ask me. Fermcap S is a nice product to add to your boil to prevent boil overs and also to add to your fermenter to prevent excessive blowoff.

IMO dont spend $100+ on a boil kettle. Watch craigslist for a local college town for spent kegs. Pick one up for $25-30 bucks and cut the top off. It will let you grow.
Your best upgrade after the initial equipment for brew quality will be a fermentation fridge and for sanity sake kegging equipment.
Oh and look up BIAB and no chill. Might see some stuff you will want to try and it would reduce the required equipment purchases.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I bought a 40 gallon SS pot from instawares. It doesn't have the ball valve or thermometer but the more I read and saw here, I didn't think it was a big deal. I bought the brew kit and a nice big chiller.

Other than ingredients, I think I am good to go.

Thanks again for the replies and I will be sure to post my first brew for the world to see.

Back