Have a weird grayish slurry type in my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you run a hot PBW cleaning cycle on the kettle before use? Might be some form of manufacturing oil.

Awesome! Was afraid it was something bad coming off my kettle or heat element

On your finger looks like normal protein coagulation but from your description (greyish sludge) sounds like excessive beta-glucanase. Had the same problem at the brewery I work at last week. Got a new batch of grain and last couple brew days using it we had lautering issues and the same greyish sludge appear during sparging.

So what does that mean? I have it fermenting now at 64 degrees with wyeast American ale 2. Seems to be fine but is that "stuff" going to harm or get you sick?

Did your grain bill have any wheat in it? I had some similar stuff form during the boil of a wheat beer I did, the wort and trub was a weird greyish-olive drab color. Freaked me out, but post fermentation it settled out and ended up being the normal color.

You'll be grand. I get that once in a while depending on the brew...seems to happen more when i do a step or decoction, so i'm pretty sure its just protein coagulation. You'll know when you crack the first one! But like I said, you'll be grand.

I can't believe you haven't had a hot break up to this point in your brewing! That's all it looks like to me. Typical protein coagulation during the hot break.

I have had hot breaks before without a doubt but I don't remember ever seeing this type of stuff. It was my first brew using an electric stainless element and was making sure it wasn't anything coming off of the new element.

Looks like protein sludge. Skim it off, fly sparge, and let the trub settle in your fermenter and rack it off before fermenting. If you are using carboys, let it settle on the bottom and transfer it again before fermenting.

Generally not a problem for ales if you are drinking them sooner than later. I don't like it in lagers, hence the advice above.

Looks like protein sludge. Skim it off, fly sparge, and let the trub settle in your fermenter and rack it off before fermenting. If you are using carboys, let it settle on the bottom and transfer it again before fermenting.

Generally not a problem for ales if you are drinking them sooner than later. I don't like it in lagers, hence the advice above.

Are you advising to fly sparge post-boil?

Are you advising to fly sparge post-boil?

lol. No, of course not. I was thinking about starch and it got mixed into my post. That's what happens when you're listening to a heated conversation about family while trying to type a response. That stuff may be pieces of starch that was not converted in the mash but that burst when you boiled the wort. You'll get less starch in your beer if you fly sparge, skim, dump trub.

Back