Have a conical? I have a question on brew volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malric

Reaction score
Just kegged my first batch from a 7 gallon chronical. Love it so far! I normally hit 5.5 into a better bottle fermentor and approximately 5 into the keg. Rough estimation is that I have about 4.5 on this batch.

For those that have a conical, do you find that you needed to up your batch size slightly to account for dropping trub?

I usually keep mine the same size. When I drop Trub and yeast, i'm fine with having less than 5g. But then again I always brew a 5.5g batch, unless its something that is super dry hopped then I will brew around 6g for a 5g end result.

If you let the trub settle overnight, generally you're not going to lose much wort when dumping the small amount that settles. Just be careful not to suck your blow-off bucket liquid into the fermenter if you're using one when you dump.

I typically brew 12 gallon batches, drop yeast and dry hop before cold crashing and the have ~1/2 gallon or so of murkyish beer left behind when I rack.

I'll bump my 2xIPA and other high dry hopped beers to 13 gallons to help.

If you let the trub settle overnight, generally you're not going to lose much wort when dumping the small amount that settles. Just be careful not to suck your blow-off bucket liquid into the fermenter if you're using one when you dump.

Even better hook up positive pressure CO2 so that you are not oxidizing the beer.

Wait...Are you talking about right after the boil, before fermentation? In that case I just whirpool and leave 90%+ of that behind in the kettle and don't worry about the rest.

I whirlpool in the kettle, let that settle, then transfer to the fermentor. I did drop trub, then dry hopped with two ounces. Dropped that, chilled to 60 and waited overnight, then racked clear beer. I'm guessing it was due to the double dump.

Wait...Are you talking about right after the boil, before fermentation? In that case I just whirpool and leave 90%+ of that behind in the kettle and don't worry about the rest.

Latest posts

Back