Hate to ask about equipment but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimo281

Reaction score
After countless hours of reading I'm still unsure on the best route to go. I've seen several starter kits but I'm still at a loss for which is best in value. I decided the easiest way would be to go step for step by John Palmer's equipment guide.

Airlock
Boiling Pot(canning pot)
Bottles(48 12oz)(30 22oz)
Bottle Capper
Bottle Caps
Bottle Brush
Fermenter
Pyrex Measuring Cup (quart or larger)
Siphon
Racking Cane
Bottle Filler
Stirring Paddle
Thermometer
Bottling Bucket(6 gallon food)
Hydrometer
Wine Theif or Turkey Baster
Ingredients Kit

I know there are a few items I'll need to pick up separately suck as the bottles,caps,measuring cup etc. One of the main questions was in some starter kits they include a fermenting bucket then a carboy or have a two fermenting buckets or a fermenting bucket and bottling bucket. From what I read you really only use the carboy/2nd fermenting bucket to just clear the beer up which isn't necessary if you aren't letting them sit for extended periods of time. The best route sounds like a fermenting bucket and bottling bucket would be the cheapest, but couldn't I just turn a fermenting bucket into a bottling bucket and have more options that way?

Out of the list should I have several of one particular item such as airlocks?

Also all the buckets are plastic which I read doesn't effect the flavor but it worries me it won't clean as well as glass would.

Here are the different kits I've been looking at, any push in the right direction would be appreciated. I know it's probably a stupid repetitive question but I have searched just haven't come across any answers...I apologize if they are around.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_33_52

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginner-Beer-Making-Kits_c_205.html?utm_campaign=Beer_Equipment&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=%2Bbrew%20%2Bbeer%20%2Bequipment&gclid=CNDrhZ_o_60CFeJeTAodhWJ-kA

your only starting so never mind the 2nd fermenter or carboy. they are unnecessary for a beginner. one air lock is fine and a plastic fermenter is fine. just get one with a spigot at bottom so you can use this to bottle. the list says bottle filler so foget about buying these extras for a few months

The two biggest money saver I think are in your fermenter and bottles. I get both of mine for free. When i need a fermenter I go down to Jason's deli and ask for a pickle bucket. I was worried about the pickle smell but I haven't had a problem at all. The hops hide all that. Good savings of 25-30 dollars there. Bottles I fish out of recycling and soak in bleach and clean. That's another 20-25 dollars there. Just my opinion. I brew Econo.

Thanks everybody. I didn't plan on getting a second fermenting bucket but some kits come with it and some don't, that's why I asked. I haven't really found a balanced kit that I want minus one. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/COMPLETE-BREWERY-WITH-HONEY-CREAM-ALE-P2338C257.aspx

It is $219 so I wonder if I could piece together a kit for cheaper. I don't want to have to upgrade very soon so the more extras now would be better. My girlfriend told me not to be cheap, she doesn't want me to be buying another setup 6 months or a year from now so and that's when I stumbled upon this kit.

So many kits it's making my head hurt. Hopefully I will have my mind made up next week with yalls help because I plan to place an order on Wednesday.

Also I assume I will need more additional equipment when I go to all grain correct?

There is an all-grain method called Brew-In-A-Bag (BIAB). Using this method I can brew 1/2 batch (2.5 gallon) using my stove with no additional equipment beyond that which you need gor extract breweing - except for a paint strainer from Home Depot. There is a sticky in the all-grain & partial mash forum about that method.

Even better then lol. I don't plan on rushing but if I know all I really need to buy is ingredients I'm even happier.

I just thought about this though, I'm not sure if I can brew in my house. I live in a trailer and my stove is electric, it seems like a pot that full would mess up the burner. Also my smoke alarms go off anytime I boil water. I wonder if I should just try it or buy a propane burner and do it all outside.

It isn't a bad thing to have two fermenters and a bottling bucket too. You can have two batches in various stages simultaneously. If you really get into brewing, you'll be wanting to build up a pipeline anyway. Having multiple fermenters is good. :)

+1 re: BIAB in the future. Do all extract batches for a while to get the process down and get your sanitation good. Once you have some confidence then try Deathbrewers Stovetop Partial Mash technique. It's a great way to try mashing with little additional investment. It is a great stepping stone to all grain.

If you live in a town with a local homebrew supply store, I'd recommend getting your kit there. It may be the same price or $20-30 more. Don't fret the price difference. That store can be a great source of information in addition to this forum. I'll also let you know that this is a gearhead hobby...you'll likely never have everything you'd like. The more you learn the more you think of stuff!

If you're trying to save money, check out Craigslist. It takes time, but I've gotten a lot of good equipment at good prices that way.

Thanks everybody. I didn't plan on getting a second fermenting bucket but some kits come with it and some don't, that's why I asked. I haven't really found a balanced kit that I want minus one. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/COMPLETE-BREWERY-WITH-HONEY-CREAM-ALE-P2338C257.aspx

It is $219 so I wonder if I could piece together a kit for cheaper. I don't want to have to upgrade very soon so the more extras now would be better. My girlfriend told me not to be cheap, she doesn't want me to be buying another setup 6 months or a year from now so and that's when I stumbled upon this kit.

So many kits it's making my head hurt. Hopefully I will have my mind made up next week with yalls help because I plan to place an order on Wednesday.

Also I assume I will need more additional equipment when I go to all grain correct?

I'm sorry and really it is just my opinion, but I don't like the kit you mentioned. Two reasons. Although williamsbrewing sells high quality stuff they monitor their reviews and dump anything less than 4 stars (really a personal peeve). Second and most important there are things in the kit that are silly, like a spigot on a 5 gallon pot. IMO that's completely unnecessary. Take the money from the spigot and use it to get the biggest stock pot you can get. Take it from someone who started with a 6 gallon pot than moved to a 9 gallon and now use a 20.5 gallon. Adding a beer kit seems nice but I would think about beers you like and pick a different kit seperately or maybe get a kit from somewhere else. I started with Northern Brewer and all of them were top quality. A CD... no, ton's of online videos.

Here's what I'd do instead.

Get this starter kit for $89:

http://www.homebrewit.com/beer-brewing-kit-equipment.php

Better Bottles work great and two buckets. You can even ditch the Better Bottle and get the $59 dollar version. The downside is it has the crappy black capper.

Now for a chiller go for this $38 welded chiller:

http://www.amazon.com/Copper-Coil-Immersion-Chiller-Length/dp/B002NZNJG2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328242856&sr=8-3

Last and most important... brew kettle. This one is $117. I would get as big as you can so you can move to full boil, then all-grain (BIAB) and maybe (eventually) 10 gallon. You'll probably end up outside so get a $45 propane burner

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-1060-62-Quart-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000VXD94A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328243934&sr=8-1

We're close to the same price you mentioned without the kit but trust me you will thank me later. I've spent a fortune and was too stubborn to listen. I wish someone would have knocked me over the head and bought my equipment for me. Anyway, feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to help (if you want it ).

Edit: Sorry williams pot is 8-gallon but still I think you should go bigger and no spigot (for now).

Last edited by a moderator:
scoundrel thanks for the advice, with all these groupon posts I figured what the hell and placed an order for one. I plan on using the certificate on a wort chiller, possibly making my own depending if it's worth if for the money it might save. I think I'm going to hit up Wal-Mart and get a pot, I found a couple off Craigslist as well.

My girlfriend told me if I want to get a kit then get a good one I won't need to add stuff to for awhile, then she started watching the price list go up and well....here I am cutting some costs lol.

Hopefully I get the order next week and can begin a brew! I want to get a soda kit for my kids, I thought it would be fun for the family. It would be cool to start my own family tradition of brewing since my family doesn't really have any traditions.

Anyways thanks for all yalls help. I do have one more question though. I don't plan on getting a big pot right now because after cutting costs we decided not to get the propane setup for now, but will it have any effect on what wort chiller I buy?

Hi again.

You may want to hold off on the wort chiller until you decide how much u can boil. If you are doing extract on your stove or small batches (2.5 gal) for awhile then you might be able to hold off until you get your big stockpot. For small batches you might be able to use your sink to cool your stockpot with ice (well - water changed a couple of times every five minutes and then ice).

Good luck and I hope you have fun. For now you better start thinking about drinking enough beer with non-twist off tops so you can save them up and bottle - about 50 or so!

Lol I have a friend who knows 2 different people with beer bottle piles. One has the brown bottles which is what I was going for but he's not sure he wants to get rid of them then the other said I can take as many green bottles as I want, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Now that I say that I don't even remember if Heineken is twist or pop...I'll have to google that one

And I suppose I can hold off and just use the sink for now, I was going to for my first brew anyways, just thought it might be worth the investment now...I'll just stop being lazy lol

One last note.

You are much better off with brown bottles. If u use the green then the beer should always be kept in the dark - otherwise they say u risk skunking the beer. Yeast don't like light and they will punish you!

lol. Hope u enjoy the brews to come.

My girlfriend told me if I want to get a kit then get a good one I won't need to add stuff to for awhile, then she started watching the price list go up and well....here I am cutting some costs lol.

Good luck with that!

I did my first brew with Northern Brewer's deluxe kit. I opted for the Better Bottles as I didn't want the weight or danger of glass.

As soon as the first kit was in fermentation I ordered 2 more ingredient kits and another Better Bottle plus odds and ends. Now 8 months later I have a turkey fryer, 2 ten gallon SS pots with valves. One with a sight tube and thermometer. Wort chiller, Mash tun, shelving to store all the stuff, refractometer, Digital thermometer, home built stirplate, flask, etc. etc. etc.

I think I am at a point where the spending on new equipment will slow down for a while. MAYBE!

FWIW, this is amazing for only $15. Best brewing accessory I've bought so far.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_56_151&products_id=2343

My other favorite "inexpensive" piece of equipment:
image_515.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/vinator-bottle-rinser.html

I've already bought my kit from midwest, thanks though.

As for the last couple posts I'll have to check out my lhbs and see what they have and start shopping around for a propane burner, hopefully I can catch a sale.

Back