Has my wine completed fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElezEspana

Reaction score
Hello.

I am new to winemaking and have been following a kit to get me started (Wilko Sauviougn Blanc).

Everything has been going fine, but I have been following the instructions and it is saying that after 7 days of fermentation, I should add the stabiliser, however, the bubbler is still bubbling once every 3 seconds, so I am not sure if I need to give this more time or not?

Should I follow the instructions and continue to the next step? Or should I leave it until the bubbler slows down?

Thanks in advance.

Hi ElezEspana, and welcome to this forum.
Hard for me to believe that the instructions would suggest that you count the frequency of bubbles bubbling through an airlock. Much more likely they would have suggested you rack when the gravity came close to or below 1.000 . If the gravity is there then no matter how actively gas is leaving your airlock the yeast have no more sugar to ferment so you can rack. If the gravity is significantly above 1.000 then no matter how quiet your airlock might be the yeast have not completed their work in fermenting all the sugars. They might have stalled so that could be a problem but of course a happier answer might be that there is not a good seal between your fermenter and bubbler and the yeast are still active but the gas is simply finding an easier route to escape. Bottom line: bubbles in an airlock are amusing but they really tell you nothing very useful. Your hydrometer and the changes in gravity are what you want to monitor.

" Bottom line: bubbles in an airlock are amusing but they really tell you nothing very useful " I have not read that anywhere before! What i've read is that when bubbles are about a minute apart, fermentation can be classified as finished.

What is the idea behind your statement? Gas coming out of airlock can be dissolved gas escaping, and not signs of fermentation? Any other reasons? Thanks , and Hi.

After a fermentation begins, there will be lots of dissolved gas that take time to come out, and depending on temp, it could be bubbling for week after it’s already done.

Air locks are a breathable safety valve. They show active start up after yeast is pitched. Keep fruit flies out and can indicate contaminated wine if airlock begins to show discoloration or solids in airlock water. P S always use water w/S02.

Back