Has anyone used these for chilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like waaaay more trouble than it's worth. Unless you're doing just a couple gallon batches it's not going to cool rapidly enough so that you don't have to refill with ice a dozen times. Seems like it's best used for restaurants where they can pop one in and put it in the walk in cooler to decrease their chill time.

i don't think its as good as there making it seem.. its good for somebody who needs to cool a pot of soup once in a while maybe..

Looks neat, but it'd probably take more than 1 to get from boiling to pitching temps - so not great as the only means of cooling. Using it as a paddle to stir an immersion chiller would probably be super effective though.

My restaurant uses these to chill our soups. They are a lot faster than just throwing the batch into our walk in fridge, but would not be fast enough for wort. If they were stainless instead of plastic I could see them working better for brewing.

Being polycarconate, it would be just a matter of time before it leaks into your wort.
Why risk it?

Back