Has anyone used Santiam hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsandhops

Reaction score
I've always used citrusy, American hops, so I figured I'd branch out a bit. The descriptors I've read are spicy, herbal and floral. I know Smuttynose Finestkind uses them, but I haven't been able to pick those descriptors out of that beer.

I was thinking about doing a pilsner with them.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I've always used citrusy, American hops, so I figured I'd branch out a bit. The descriptors I've read are spicy, herbal and floral. I know Smuttynose Finestkind uses them, but I haven't been able to pick those descriptors out of that beer.

I was thinking about doing a pilsner with them.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I say go for it. They're listed as aroma hops for IPAs APAs and Pilsners. How could it be bad? :)

I've never brewed a floral/herbal type brew. Any suggestions on more citrusy hops I could pair them with in a APA/IPA type brew? I know Finestkind uses simcoe and amarillo.

I know Finestkind uses simcoe and amarillo.

Which is probably why you can't pick out the Santiam much - they're getting largely covered up. Pair them with strong citrus hops if you like, but be warned you're not going to get much from the Santiam other than a bit of extra complexity out of the full package.

If you actually want to taste the Santiam, use them alone or pair them with hops of the same general flavor type. That's my $.02, anyway.

Makes sense that they would be overwhelmed easily by big fruity hops. I have an english IPA with EKGs about to be kegged and they seem like they could be the same way. First time using EKGs too

I have used Santium hops exclusively in a couple of beers to date. A saison and a Belgian Pale Ale. Both turned out very well. If you are looking for a subtle, noble hop flavor/aroma they're great! Closest to Tettenanger, if I compare to hops I've used before.

I've been brewing for 15 years and I have yet to brew with Santiam. Recently I've gotten tired of fruity citrusy American hops. I've got some of these on the way. Thinking about doing a pilsner with Santiam and some Crystal hops I've had in the freezer for a while.

Back