Has anyone used a coolbot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412CiderGuy

Reaction score
I saw an ad for a coolbot which claims to crank up a household air conditioner to be able to power a walk in cooler (if the room is ultra insulated). Anyone have any experience? I.e building out the room, electricity consumption, etc.

The brewery I used to work at cooled their walk-in with two window air conditioners from Lowes using Coolbots. It was pretty well insulated and the temp stayed at 40f. so far they have been running for about 5 years with no problems.

I have, for a cheese aging cave. Fantastic. Only thing I'd suggest is make sure you've sized the A/C to your needs well. I had the freaking HVAC setup to the Bismarck and our entire neighborhood dimmed when the compressor kicked on.

Pretty ingenious little thing. Same A/C one summer, somewhere around 100F outside, as a ridiculous experiment, brought our (large, which bleeds upstairs as well) LR to 38F, lol.:rock:

I saw an ad for a coolbot which claims to crank up a household air conditioner to be able to power a walk in cooler (if the room is ultra insulated). Anyone have any experience? I.e building out the room, electricity consumption, etc.
we use one in our nano brewpub cooler.. Ive gone as low as 33 with it in a 9x10x6ft high walk in in the basement. I use an lg 24,500btu ac unit. buying a second one soon for the adjacent walkin we built for brite tanks...
they have a new optional one now which interfaces with smart phones for those that need to know at all times whats going on.

The building inspector did require us to hire an engineering firm to state it was ok to use it though. This held us up for three months.. LG gave us the run around on the phone and unresonsive to emails. Coolbot said they couldnt help either but gave us all they had but what we needed, A document stating that the window ac unit is designed and ul listed for indoor use and cooling to refrigeration temps.
I imagine most inspectors arent this difficult he was pretty biased against it, not believing it would work and coming up with one reason after another why we couldnt use it every time I would debunk his theories.

Ive heard stories of other nanos having to go a different direction because of this.

Last edited:
Awesome guys thanks - i got an offer to buy the housing for a 10x10 walk-in freezer for $350 but no cooling unit. He said the unit was a few grand so wondering since I don’t need anything too cold if I can just throw a AC and coolbot in. Fingers crossed!

Back