Has anyone tried making buffaloberry (also known as bullberry) wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
A true specialty of Montana, the Dakotas, and other isolated spots in the Midwest and Rocky Mountain states:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherdia_argentea

1024px-Shepherdia_argentea_range_map.png

I apologise for the largish photos - they are the ones that Wikipedia provided for me:

1280px-SilverBuffaloberry-SK..jpg

I collected enough last year for a few pints of syrup, as well as just enough to add to a red ale that I will be brewing sometimes this spring. I got to thinking that they would probably make a wonderful wine, even though they are a real pain (literally) to pick. They are a bit tart, but not nearly as astringent as chokecherries. Their flavour when sweetened is wonderful.

There are two hints that I can provide for picking buffaloberries, provided by my father, who learned them from his parents and grandparents in rural North Dakota:

a) Wait until after the first frost - they are much sweeter then.

b) Rather than shred your hands to ribbons on the thorns, place a bed sheet on the ground below the berries, and whack the bushes with a stick.

Anyway, has anyone tried making wine with them? I have every intention of attempting a 1-gallon batch of this wine this fall, but any suggestions as a starting place for a "recipe" would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance -

Ron

Hi there! It's unusual berry in my region, thus I have not tried it. But I've been make my own wine from many various berries and fruits, I am sure this is going to be to complex to do it.

Just collect as much as possible of these berries
Crush and make mash (Do not wash them) if you want to use wild yeasts. (If planinig on using wine yeasts, then wash it)

Follow standard wine making proceedures and I am sure you will get amazing wine! Don't forget to share it with us!

Back