Has anyone made a Heat Pipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foamenter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been considering making a heat pipe rather than using a blower for a tower cooler.

I want to do this mainly because I have most of the materials, and it seems like an interesting experiment. It also uses no energy, has no mechanical parts that could fail over time, and doesn't generate heat.

Has anyone built one before?

I was considering one made from copper tube, with butane as the working fluid to fill it with, since the vapor pressure is close to 1 atm @ 0* C. I'm thinking it could be run from the tower, with the beer lines wrapped around it, into the kegerator, and then bent @ a 90* to one side.

I'm not sure what to use as wicking material, or as a filler to create the vapor cavity.

From what I've read, in most applications the heat transfer is limited by a combination of the wicking rate, and the thermal capacity of the working fluid. I don't think this will require very many BTUs to keep the tower cool, as long as it is reasonably insulated.

I made one years ago. Used water under a partial vacuum and oil lamp wick for the transfer media.

I just got together the parts for it. As follows -

pipe - Black iron pipe & fittings. (it was cheaper than copper, and should transfer heat reasonably well)(fingers crossed)

Wicking material - 22/32" cotton cord, used for making drapes. it is basically just a bunch of cotton fiber, inside a cotton thread mesh that holds it together. I couldn't find any large enough wicks @ hobby lobby

To create the vapor cavity, I am going to use the braided copper shield from some quad RG6 wire. I should be able to thread it in the center of the cotton cord using a skewer, and it should maintain enough space for the vapor return.

I'll put up some pics when I get started. After I mow the lawn and trim the bushes. And wash the car. and . . . .who knows what else.

Latest posts

Back