Has anyone done a primary fermentation using Brett B only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBIII

Reaction score
Have any of you done a primary fermentation using Brett B only? If so....

1) Did you do a yeast starter?
2) How long did you allow the primary fermentation to take place?
3) How long did you secondary age?
4) At what temperature did you ferment?
5) Should I expect a vigorous or subdued primary fermentation?
6) How much of a lag period between pitching and a noticeably active primary fermentation?

Thanks in advance...

I just sampled our first brett100 beer. It was pilsen, acid malt, honey malt & single hopped w/ rakau.

Attenuation was like normal ale yeast. Flavors very similar to ale yeast as well I like the beer but it is more "normal" than expected. Thumbs up on rakau hops I think, though. It bottle carbed in a week which suprised me. No bottle bombs yet....

If you want we could swap a few.

6) How much of a lag period between pitching and a noticeably active primary fermentation?

Thanks in advance...

i know there's loads of great info in the previous replies from more experienced brett brewers than myself but i'll just add my experiences for the feck of it, have done a few really nice brett b (WLP) beers
1. yep, a big one
2. as long as it needed to reach a stable gravity, at least 3 weeks, more like 4
3. didn't
4. 20-22c
5. mine have all been vigorous off the bat, and then they go in cycles as others have described. big start, then it dies down, and then kicks back in a week later.
6. not much

Thanks in advance...
i'm currently fermenting my first all-brett B (wlp650) IPA.

1) yes, you need a big starter. throw a new vial into at least 2 L, possibly more. the starter will take about a week to finish out.
2) it's still in primary. activity only lasted a week, but i'm going to give it 3 or 4 weeks. it's only two gallons and i'm patient so i'm not in a rush to take a hydro sample. i forgot to take an OG so i can't use my refract.
3) i won't. i'm going to dry-hop in primary, then bottle from there.
4) 68*F ambient, and when activity died down a bit i put my two 1-gal carboys again a heating blanket (that was on a saison carboy) so that bumped them up a few degrees. these 2 gallons were extra wort that i decided to experiment on, so i wasn't as strict (AKA caring) about them. it was a case of "instead of throwing this out, let's pitch a ton of brett and see what happens. if it doesn't work, who cares".
5) it was relatively vigorous, not quite as vigorous as sacch but there was krausen, churn in the bottles, etc.
6) i honestly don't remember, but it wasn't too long. less than 48 hours, maybe 24. but i pitched a boat-load of brett. seriously, it was a lot of brett. i previously used this brett for cider, and the lag there was 3 or 4 days. pitch was a lot smaller so there was a long growth phase. i was about to panic and throw in some sacch, glad i waited it out.

Thanks in advance...
1. 1L stepped up to 1.5L.
2. 2 months
3. It had an unintended extended cold crash because my back kept me from bottling when I wanted to.
4. About 70F
5. Vigorous
6. I pitched the 1.5L starter. After 4 days I had no signs of fermentation. I panicked because I was going on vacation, bought another vial of the yeast and pitched it. When I came back a week later it was bubbling like mad. It did that for a month. The krausen fell. After waiting a week, I went to rack it for dry hopping and oaking only to discover another krausen formed and it went another 4 weeks.

Everyone,

Thanks for the detailed information! That's what I enjoy so much about the homebrewtalk.com community. I can search google and waste hours trying to sift through the over abundance of information or I can ask someone on homebrewtalk.com and get a detailed, informative and knowledgeable answer. Thanks so much.

Back