Harvesting: how much will I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
This is my first year growing them and I was both surprised and excited to see that I'm going to get some cones my first season! I planted 4 varieties and 3 of them are producing cones (Nugget, Fuggle and Cascade). So I've been reading up on how to properly harvest and dry them but I was curious how much fresh equates to when dried? Obviously cones vary in size so they'll have different weights but I'm just looking to eyeball it for an estimate. Anyone able to venture a guess how many fresh cones = 1oz of dried hops? Thanks

Until someone more in the know chimes in I can tell you that it took 5 of my first year cones to tip the scale at one gram. That's even before they are ready to pick so by then they will have less moisture. So that's over 100 cones to get a wet ounce then dried it's .2 ounces for 100+ cones. Ouch.

Until someone more in the know chimes in I can tell you that it took 5 of my first year cones to tip the scale at one gram. That's even before they are ready to pick so by then they will have less moisture. So that's over 100 cones to get a wet ounce then dried it's .2 ounces for 100+ cones. Ouch.

No way this is accurate. I have a first year plant, have been picking them off and placing them in 2oz bags each week as they are ready. Im not picking 200 at a time. More like 35. Ill count them on saturday when i pick off some more

This is a pound of dried hops. No help in how much they weighed before being dried. And there is no scale for reference. I can measure the box tomorrow.

IMG_4357.jpg

I got about 600g wet hops off my first year NZ Cascade plant. You want to work on wet cones being 5-6x heavier than dry. So that would be the equivalent of 100-120g or 4-5oz. I brewed an IPA using these plus commercial pellets and it came out really nice.

No way this is accurate.

Slander! Well I should have said in my first reply that my hops are in pots and are small to medium in size. Today picked 92 centennial weighing in at 42grams. So that's about 60 per wet ounce compared to le burro du grande's 17 per wet ounce.

Mine are about half the size of the one pictured, needless to say I have something other than a kitchen scale!!

Hopunion Cone.jpeg

I can tell you from experience that a fully mature plant can produce from 0.5 - 4 lbs dry. The mean though is much closer to 1.25 - 2 lbs dry.

Just harvested and dried a first year harvest of 6 Cascade plants, wet off the bine the total weight was 26.9 oz. They dried down to 6.1 oz on a food dehydrator. So I figure they lost 78% from harvest to packaging.

Back