Harry Potter Butterbeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm late to this party, but just read the whole thread.

The buttery taste in Chardonnay is mostly from malolactic fermentation. The grapes' malic acid becomes lactic acid from ML Bacteria. Oak aging will lend vanilla flavors and perhaps contribute to this, but Chardonnays that don't undergo MLF have more of a green apple flavor.

That's as I understand it... I could be wrong.
I prefer red wine.

I WILL be making one of these concoctions when the 7th's movies come out on DVD. I'd prefer a brewed version rather than a mulled drink, but the cream soda based drink for the kids sounds great!

I was in my LHBS a few weeks ago talking about this butterbeer recipe and the store owner and some customers overheard me. The owner shouts out "DIACETYL!!!" and they all start laughing.

Tasted my second hydrometer sample this morning and I still think it has a flavor that reminds me of a warm oatmeal cookie. This time, I noticed a hint of banana on the front end, like you would taste in a hefeweizen. I think my stick-on thermometer on my fermenting bucket is reading lower than actual. I have been keeping it consistent at 63 using frozen 1 liter water bottles in a swamp cooler. But, when I gauge the temperature of my hydrometer sample, it is reading 68-70 degrees. I think the higher ferm temp has brought out some esters...

I'm not getting any butterscotch flavors, which I was trying to get by

1. boiling down 2 quarts of wort to a pint and adding back into the boil
2. adding butter extract and vanilla extract.

But, that may change as this puppy ages. Without adding butterscotch extract, it may be tough to get the flavor with such a light grain bill (mostly wheat). Hoping that will change after a few more weeks in the fermentor and bottle aging.

This is an interesting idea. In regards to butterscotch. I don't know how they do it, but Southern Tier's Creme Brule Stout tastes like butterscotch. It's darned good. Definitely a dessert beer. Hopefully this project has much luck!

I think it is time for me to go at it again, since you guys are having some general luck with better recipes. If we all keep tweaking we will get it!...
LHBS here I come!

Update on my recipe - has been in the bottle for 2 weeks. I cracked open a couple to enjoy during my brew day this weekend. The "alcohol hot" has diminished, and the creaminess of the lactose is coming out. I had SWMBO try it and she said that she thought it was liking having a "treat" or desert. I think this will just get better with age. I have finally entered my recipe into beersmith. I used BIAB, you may get different results with a different method.

I am bummed that I did not get any butterscotch flavor, but this is still a good stab at butterbeer. Butterscotch seems to be a bit elusive unless you can find the extract flavoring to add to a batch. Next time I try this, I will add more 2-row and less wheat malt. And try to locate the butterscotch extract.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Brew 4 - Butterbeer
Brewer: frailn
Asst Brewer: otto
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 81.48 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
0.50 oz Brewer's Gold [9.60 %] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.25 tsp Butter Extract (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Cloves - Ground (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Vanilla Extract (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Cinnamon - Ground (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Sasparilla (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Nutmeg - Ground (Boil 0.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3.70 %
1 Pkgs Pacman (Rogue) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 20.00 qt of water at 161.5 F 152.0 F

Notes:
------
Removed 2 quarts of wort from finished mash, boiled down to 2 pints in separate pot on the stovetop. Added 1 pint of the reduced wort back into the boil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the last Harry Potter movie coming out, I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'll be brewing a "Butterbeer" next week and I hope it'll be drinking good by July 15. I based my recipe of a hodgepodge of recipes including several in this thread and Cheese's caramel cream ale:

Butterbeer (Specialty Beer)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.069 (°P): 16.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.78 %
Colour (SRM): 7.7 (EBC): 15.2
Bitterness (IBU): 32.0 (Average)

8lb. American 2-Row
4lb. Wheat Malt
0.5lb Crystal 40
0.5lb. Honey Malt

1oz Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
.5oz Saaz (3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)

2 Cinnamon Sticks @ Flameout (Boil)
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil) [debating losing this]
4oz Lactose @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
2 crushed Nutmeg @ Flameout (Boil)
3 vanilla beans; sliced and soaked in Everclear (Secondary)
Natural Butterscotch Extract to taste. (Bottling)

Single step Infusion at 155°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 68°F with Danstar Nottingham

I was able to find natural butterscotch extract here: http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/extracts/extrbut.html

I'm also mashing high and losing the aroma hops so that the sweetness can really shine through.

What do you guys think? Anyone else brewing up some butterbeer?

With the last Harry Potter movie coming out, I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'll be brewing a "Butterbeer" next week and I hope it'll be drinking good by July 15. I based my recipe of a hodgepodge of recipes including several in this thread and Cheese's caramel cream ale:

8lb. American 2-Row
4lb. Wheat Malt
0.5lb Crystal 40
0.5lb. Honey Malt

I was able to find natural butterscotch extract here: http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/extracts/extrbut.html

I'm also mashing high and losing the aroma hops so that the sweetness can really shine through.

Sounds good, I might have to give this a shot.

8lb. American 2-Row
4lb. Wheat Malt
0.5lb Crystal 40
0.5lb. Honey Malt

This looks great! I highly recommend taking about a quart of wort and boiling it down on the stove top by at least half, then returning it to the boil kettle. It definitely added some additional sweetness to my batch and was worth the trouble. Also, I used 8 oz of lactose, and felt it was worth it - the result is a much "creamier" feel to the beer.

I highly recommend taking about a quart of wort and boiling it down on the stove top by at least half, then returning it to the boil kettle.

That's is a great suggestion. I did exactly the same thing on my "Imperial Irish Red last week. Trying to sweeten up that beer to counter the 130 IBUS. :rockin:

Does this little trick make that much of a difference?

Also, I will definitely be upping the lactose. I'm a bit of a lactose fanatic (use it in everything), so I always try to tone it down. Come to thing of it, however, this is exactly the right beer to load up with milk sugar! :mug:

Does this little trick make that much of a difference?

Absolutely! I was going for butterscotch by using this trick in concert with the vanilla addition. I didn't quite get butterscotch, but definately got some sweet - just enough for my wife to give this tasting note: "wow, this tastes like a beer and a treat (desert)".

Absolutely! I was going for butterscotch by using this trick in concert with the vanilla addition. I didn't quite get butterscotch, but definately got some sweet - just enough for my wife to give this tasting note: "wow, this tastes like a beer and a treat (desert)".

That's what I wanted to hear. Sometimes I just have a major sweet tooth for beers. I feel like there are times when you should through balance to the wind and brew up a real dessert in a glass. I'm debating using 3-4 vanilla beans in the secondary instead of extract and I'm almost definitely going to axe the Irish moss to prevent clearing...this is going to be a fun little experiment.

well guys after reading this post ive got to say very intersting and now i got to try it .. want to try to brew something up before the last harry potter movies come outs...

so after looking threw ive came up wiht a base idea but will need some help on fine tuning it or any other input

for yeast was looking at these but not sure

WLP080 cream ale
WLP007 dry english ale

wyeast sottish ale

want to look for a yeast that wil work with a smooth creamy buttery falvor

-for grains- any input here woudl be great

Crystal 60l
caramel wheat
honey malt
caramunich

and some lactose

hops no clue what to go with want something that will work wiht the sweetness

and going to defently throw in some form of butterscotch flavoring. and maybe a little bit of pure vinilla

i knwo this is far from being anything close to a recipie but any help to get the ball rolling would be great

this will only be my 2nd batch of making beer but i figure what the heck im her try new things so why not have some fun..it what is all about anyways right.. well besideds getting loaded after making it

Good luck finding butterscotch flavor. Local grocery stores do not carry it. I found some at a local Cake/baking supply store. LorAnn oils makes a butterscotch flavor. I called the company and it is oil free which should not impact head retention.

My butterbeer is currently in primary, and I had hoped to bottle this weekend, but life got in the way. I made a 3.5 gal batch, here's my recipe if you are interested.

3 lbs Maris otter
1 lb caramel 10L
.5 lb flaked wheat
9.5 oz lactose (60 min)
.25 oz goldings (60 min)
.25 oz goldings (30 min)

Pitched wyeast neoBritannia 1945 harvested from a sweet stout. (I know I broke a repitching rule and went dark to light)

Plan on adding Penzey's Vanilla extract and lorAnn butterscotch flavoring when bottling. However I'm not sure of amounts yet... Might try 2 oz of vanilla and 1/2 tsp of butterscotch and go from there. Add as needed.

mcbethenstein said:
My butterbeer is currently in primary, and I had hoped to bottle this weekend, but life got in the way. I made a 3.5 gal batch, here's my recipe if you are interested.

3 lbs Maris otter
1 lb caramel 10L
.5 lb flaked wheat
9.5 oz lactose (60 min)
.25 oz goldings (60 min)
.25 oz goldings (30 min)

Pitched wyeast neoBritannia 1945 harvested from a sweet stout. (I know I broke a repitching rule and went dark to light)

Plan on adding Penzey's Vanilla extract and lorAnn butterscotch flavoring when bottling. However I'm not sure of amounts yet... Might try 2 oz of vanilla and 1/2 tsp of butterscotch and go from there. Add as needed.

Edit: since I fermented in a Carboy I couldn't tell the volume. Once I got it in the bottling bucket I saw it was right at 4 gal. I bottled after 3 1/2 weeks in primary. No secondary.

Added 2 oz. of pure vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp of LorAnn butterscotch flavoring, and 1/4 tsp LorAnn Caramel flavoring. The tastings wern't as sweet as I hoped, so I mixed up an additional 6.5 oz lactose to bring the batch amount to an even pound. After the tastings came out to my liking I added in 5 1/8 oz of priming sugar and bottled. I got 41 bottles. OG 1.042 Finishing gravity 1.018 (before additional lactose and priming sugar) 3.1% abv.

Can someone who has made this with the flavoring extracts answer a question for me? I just cracked open my first bottle after a week carbing and it really does taste like a butterscotchy cream soda. Which is exactly what I was going for. My only concern is a hint of bitterness from the flavorings....If you have ever tried vanilla extract pure, you know what I'm referring to.... Will this age out? How long will it take for the flavors to subside a bit?

Let it age longer. Mine was a tad bitter at first but is getting better with time. Give it another month and taste one. If still bitter, wait another month and try again, etc...

Ok, I'll drink one next Friday for the movie, then wait on it.... That is if I can get a babysitter. My viewing of the movie might have to wait as well. Don't want to overwhelm my family with babysitting requests.

brew warm to induce higher levels of diacetyl and use crystal malts for the sweetness and head retention. maybe also use lactose for the smoothness. hmmmm........ long shot here and read the ingredients first to make sure it is only flavoring but maybe disolve some butterscotch candies or see if you can find butterscoth extract to add to your secondary. good luck let us know how it turns out.

There is burnt sugar extract used for baking that you could use. It would give you a butterscotch/caramel essence to your beer. To sterilize/pasteurize it you could put it in a mason jar and pressure cook it for about a half hour.

Though most commercial butter flavours contain Diacetyl, i have found this : Imitation Butter Flavor which is said to be maid of : a mixture of water, propylene glycol, artificial flavor, and FD&C yellow 5. If I added this at secondary would it negatively affect my brew? What about well I'm boiling my wort? Thanks for the insight.

Sorry if this has already been posted i jumped from page 3 - 19......

I live in the home of Alamo Draft House, quite possibly the biggest dive of all full serve theatres. Every HP release they have a HP Feast with food themed from the movie. They sell a butter beer that is slap your momma good, and they make it with hard cider... I dont know if some of the elder beer lords can reverse engineer the recipe to make a beer with, but at the very least make a batch of it

Its really good and thats coming from a fat man...

1 gallons apple cider

4 tablespoons butter (1/4 cup)

1 cups brown sugar

3/4 cup heavy cream

1tsp kosher salt

2 cinnamon stick

1tbs cloves

2 each nutmeg

1tbs allspice berries

In a large pot combine the cloves, cinnamon and allspice with the cider. Heat to a simmer and let cook for 15 minutes. In a smaller pot heat the butter and sugar together until it becomes fluid like, losing its graininess, then add the cream and salt until combined. This makes the butterscotch. Whip the butterscotch into the cider. Label and refrigerate.

After making the mix, add one part of this to one part Woodchuck (alcoholic) cider for the alcoholic version or one part sprite for the non-alcoholic version.

ok so my butterbeer was more like an amber but I really didn't know anything about what I was reciping I just winged it. Buuutt I can't wait to show you my finished bottled Mead. Appropriately named Felix Felicis :) ill upload pics soon

Mine turned out pretty tasty:

8lb. American 2-Row
4lb. Wheat Malt
0.5lb Crystal 40
0.5lb. Honey Malt

1lb. Lactose @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
3 vanilla beans sliced and soaked+1tsp ground nutmeg; in Everclear (Secondary)
1.5oz Natural Butterscotch Extract.

I actually found it a bit sweet, but EVERYBODY else seemed to love it. It definitely has a butterscotch candy taste to it, and it takes about a month in the bottle to really come through. Very solid stuff though. Creamy and sweet; make sure to use a full lb. of lactose and avoid clearing agents to get that cloudy, creamy effect.

Mine turned out pretty tasty:

8lb. American 2-Row
4lb. Wheat Malt
0.5lb Crystal 40
0.5lb. Honey Malt

1lb. Lactose @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
3 vanilla beans sliced and soaked+1tsp ground nutmeg; in Everclear (Secondary)
1.5oz Natural Butterscotch Extract.

I actually found it a bit sweet, but EVERYBODY else seemed to love it. It definitely has a butterscotch candy taste to it, and it takes about a month in the bottle to really come through. Very solid stuff though. Creamy and sweet; make sure to use a full lb. of lactose and avoid clearing agents to get that cloudy, creamy effect.
How much everclear did you use? And I’m assuming you added the extract after fermentation right before kegging or bottling? Thanks john

He hasn’t been online here since 2014. I’d say use just enough everclear to submerge the vanilla and nutmeg to make the extract. And yes I’d add it after fermentation. Either to keg or bottling bucket

Greetings,

I know this is a real old thread, but did anyone make this without using lactose? Would a maltodextrin or some other malt-based, non-fermentable sugar work instead for those of us that can't digest lactose?

Also, I see nottingham and scottish ale being the most popular yeasts. What were the tasting notes of the yeasts that people used for this; why were those chosen?

Interested in seeing if this can be brewed up for Christmas this year for family and friends.

Back