Hard Seltzer Carbonation Challenges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cmu92

Reaction score
First try at making my own hard seltzer. Fermentation got me to about 5% ABV. Decided to force carb in my kegerator. I set the pressure to almost 50 PSI, but after over a week, It seems like there is zero carbonation. i know the pressure is in the corny keg as it shoots out strong when I pour a sample. What am I doing wrong? Can I add some priming sugar to the corny and carb it that way?z

Thanks in advance

Hmmm...
Something isn't right if 50 psi for a week in a kegerator (so, presuming the seltzer was chilled) didn't reach some easily appreciable level of carbonation.
If I did that to a full cornelius style keg full of beer I'd be battling epic overcarbonation.

Is it possible you're losing all the carbonation when dispensing?

Cheers!

had me scratching my head....so i had to chug my beer, so i could go look at my reg and fill up another glass....you're not looking at the high pressure guage, and reading bars are you? i see a cool co2 tank would be sitting at about 50 bar......

Hmmm...
Something isn't right if 50 psi for a week in a kegerator (so, presuming the seltzer was chilled) didn't reach some easily appreciable level of carbonation.
If I did that to a full cornelius style keg full of beer I'd be battling epic overcarbonation.

Is it possible you're losing all the carbonation when dispensing?

Cheers!
Hmm...when you say losing the carbonation when dispensing....how would I prevent that?

Hmm...when you say losing the carbonation when dispensing....how would I prevent that?

If you're dispensing it so fast that it goes flat by the sheer force of pouring into your glass you could lose a lot of dissolved co2. It should only take a few days to carb at that PSI. Maybe try dropping the PSI to 15-20 and see how it pours then and if you have carbonation still.

That might be what is happening - when I drop it to 15 PSI do I need to bleed the corny? If not it will have residual pressure correct?

If the OP will confirm the seltzer was cold during the week on 50 psi CO2 we'll get closer to a root-cause conclusion.
But, jumping ahead to a confirmatory response, the seltzer is wicked over-carbonated, and I bet it's foaming like crazy.
I can't even find a carbonation chart or calculator that goes up to 50 psi, but the closest ended at 45 psi @ 36°F - with a carbonation level of 6 volumes (!)

Cheers!

I've been searching for a thread like this because I am having a similar problem. Mine is with a 2.5 G Root beer I mixed up this past weekend. My 3 gallon keg has been on 30PSI at 5*C for 5 days and it comes out dead flat. I have 30' of hose, dispense at 30 PSI through a picnic tap. It does not shoot out like a rocket but is a fairly strong stream. There is no foam at all, no carbonation at all. Nothing. Might post something similar in the Soda forum to see if something in the recipe might be to blame.

I've been searching for a thread like this because I am having a similar problem. Mine is with a 2.5 G Root beer I mixed up this past weekend. My 3 gallon keg has been on 30PSI at 5*C for 5 days and it comes out dead flat. I have 30' of hose, dispense at 30 PSI through a picnic tap. It does not shoot out like a rocket but is a fairly strong stream. There is no foam at all, no carbonation at all. Nothing. Might post something similar in the Soda forum to see if something in the recipe might be to blame.
I am having a very similar problem. I know this is a very old thread, but I can't see how to private message anyone. I've carbonated water for seltzer in a 5 gallon corny keg, 30 psi, ~30ft of hose, also a strong stream. Minimally carbonated. However, the water in the keg is highly carbed to exactly where I want it. @bigringking , did you ever figure out your issue?

I am having a very similar problem. I know this is a very old thread, but I can't see how to private message anyone. I've carbonated water for seltzer in a 5 gallon corny keg, 30 psi, ~30ft of hose, also a strong stream. Minimally carbonated. However, the water in the keg is highly carbed to exactly where I want it. @bigringking , did you ever figure out your issue?
Sorry @wjb663 I didn't find an answer. My son's interest in root beer has faded significantly so it dropped of my to do list.

Back